Top Ten Disney Songs Countdown

Top Ten Disney Songs Countdown

Talk about nostalgia.
32

I recently took a family trip to Walt Disney World. Along the way, and the entire time in the park, I heard the complete Spotify queue of Disney songs. These songs got me thinking; remember the days when you’d curl up every evening to a Disney movie? You’re about to relive those days with this countdown of classic and relatively new Disney tunes.

10. “Bare Necessities” by Phil Harris

Admit it, you bopped around your living room to this classic in your youth. The feature tune of Disney’s 1967 classic "The Jungle Book," this song is fun and uplifting in nature.

9. “Tale As Old As Time” by Angela Lansbury

"Beauty and the Beast" is sprinkled with memorable classics like “Be Our Guest” and “Belle.” However, in my opinion, the feature melody is hauntingly beautiful and deserves a spot on this list. It reinforces the films message of acceptance regardless of outward appearances and discovering love in unexpected places.

8. 8. "You’ve Got a Friend In Me” by Randy Newman

This classic was released with the 1995 Disney-Pixar film, "Toy Story." This was the first Disney-Pixar film produced and incorporated the use of the then-innovative CGI (Computer Generated Images). This tune is sure to bring you right back to Andy’s bedroom.

7. 7. “Friend Like Me” by Robin Williams

"Aladdin" offers a phenomenal soundtrack, with hits like “A Whole New World” and “Prince Ali.” Yet, I find the late Robin Williams' tune to be enjoyable and impossible not to hum along to.

6. “Let It Go” by Idina Menzel

The anthem of 2014, this was the feature-tune of the Disney film "Frozen." The film already has a fantastic, unique soundtrack and this was simply the icing on the cake. The hit captured an Academy Award as well as a Grammy in 2014, all while securing a place in the top five on the Billboard Hot 100 list. However it's the thrilling vocals and empowering message that secure it a spot on this countdown.

5. "Part of Your World” by Jodi Benson

"The Little Mermaid" includes many hits, like “Under the Sea” or “Poor Unfortunate Souls.” I chose “Part of Your World” because of the heartfelt meaning and overall fantastic composition. It really embodies the film and brings me back to my childhood each time I hear it.

4. “Colors of the Wind” by Vanessa Williams

This eloquent, environmentally aware tune was released with Disney’s "Pocahontas" in 1995. It brings to music an appreciation for nature with stunning vocals, creating a memorable hit by Williams.

3.“Reflection” by Lea Salonga

"Mulan" is an action-packed, empowering film, especially for young girls. This feature song of identity and self-worth can be enjoyed both in and out of a Disney setting because of it’s thrilling vocals and beauty.

2. "Circle of Life” by Carmen Twillie and Lebo M. Zulu

This tune from the 1992 hit "The Lion King" reminds listeners of the brevity and simplicity of life. The stunning chorus and intense composition are breathtaking. This song is sure to give you serious chills.

1. “When You Wish Upon A Star” by Cliff Edwards

A quintessential Disney classic, this song embodies Disney’s core value of believing in yourself and your dreams. Featured in Disney’s “Pinocchio" in 1940, I can’t think of a song that better identifies with Walt’s original ideology.

Walt Disney once offered the sage advice, "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." These songs encourage us to be bold, happy and relentless in pursuing our dreams. I hope this trip down memory lane has treated you well. Now go pop some popcorn and reminisce on one of your childhood favorites!