My Top 6 Favorite NECA Action Figures

My Top 6 Favorite NECA Action Figures

A tribute to my favorite action figure manufacturer.

1416
My Top 6 Favorite NECA Action Figures
James Porter

I have been a lifelong fan of action figures. There is a unique charm to rendering things in miniature, especially the level of detail that can be achieved on such a small scale. Luckily, there are no shortage of niche retailers willing to supply tiny plastic renditions of all my favorite pop culture obsessions, crafted with all the loving details that only dedicated fans can appreciate. No other American production company does this better than NECA (National Entertainment Collectibles Association). This lovely company has offered up an assortment of fantastic action figures over the years, and here are some of my all-time favorites.

1. 1954 Godzilla

NECA's line of Godzilla figures rivals some of the better Japanese figures. Case in point: their rendition of Godzilla from his appearance in the original 1954 film. The level of detail is fantastic. I particularly appreciate the grayscale color scheme to emulate the original film's black and white cinematography. The warped, wrinkly texture of the figure perfectly emulates the original rubbery monster suit used in the film, and the articulation is excellent, giving plenty of range of motion to pose Godzilla in various stages of rampaging.

2. Mego Style Freddy

Mego was an action figure company from the 1970s best known for their licensed action figures that came with little tailored outfits. The TV show "Robot Chicken" bases their models off of these action figures. In 2013 NECA launched a line of figures inspired by this design, starting with Freddy Krueger and Jason Voorhees. I am a big fan of this line, but the original Freddy figure will always be my favorite. The tiny little knit sweater is strangely endearing, and removable fedora fits a wide range of figures, even outside of NECA products.

I am a sucker for the throwback design of the Mego style figures, and combining that format with one of my favorite horror characters is a sure winner.

3. Jungle Disguise Dutch

Remember that part in "Predator" where Arnold Schwarzenegger covers himself in mud to hide from the Predator? Apparently, someone at NECA thought that would make for a good action figure, and boy, were they right. The level of texture and detail on this figure is absolutely stunning. It stands only seven inches tall, but every leaf and bit of cracked mud is sculpted in minute detail. It is a stunning piece to behold, and the likeness of Schwarzenegger has been captured exceedingly well. It also comes with a ridiculous amount of accessories, which is always a plus.

4. 1979 Xenomorph

Many other companies have tried before, but NECA has succeeded in creating the definitive Xenomorph action figure. H.R. Giger would be proud. This figure successfully captures all the eerie skeletal details of the creature, all the spidery snaky bits that are both simultaneously repulsive and fascinating. The figure even has a functional internal jaw that can stretched out just like in the movie. The articulation on the figure is exceptional as well, with the joints blending into the sculpt seamlessly and allowing for a dynamic range of posing. It is a solid figure and everything an "Alien" fan could hope for in a Xenomorph action figure.

5. Robocop

Much like the Xenomorph figure, NECA's Robocop action figure is a solid, dependable figure that stands as the definitive plastic miniature representation of the character. The sculpt is full of excellent detail, like ankle pistons that actually move with the feet. However, my favorite touch is the working spring-loaded holster in the figure's leg, just like the film. Robocop's comically oversized pistol even fits within the holster. Attention to detail like this is why NECA remains one of my favorite action figure manufacturers.

6. NES Predator

NECA has a particularly creative line of repaints, figures that reuse old sculpts but with minor cosmetic changes. This particular line is inspired by retro video games, and my favorite of these figures is the Predator figure from the 1987 NES adaptation of "Predator". The original Predator action figure model is already quite fantastic but the blue-and-black color scheme is absolutely gorgeous. I appreciate that a company can keep a design fresh with something as simple as a color change. It may be a gimmick, but it is a darn good gimmick.