Top Five Online Banking Issues

Top Five Online Banking Issues

356

Online banking allows you to easily check your account balance, pay bills online and transfer money. A majority of banks offer this service. However, there are some online banking issues you should be aware of.

Service Outages

Online banking makes a number of features easy to access for consumers. However, service outages can happen. Some service outages are planned in advance so banks can upgrade their servers. Unplanned outages are an issue because consumers get used to having access to a number of online services. Some banks have fewer staff members in their branches since consumers can use online banking instead of visiting their nearest bank. This can result in long lines in case of a lengthy outage.

Budgeting

Being able to instantly access your bank account and transfer funds has its advantages. However, this is not good news for consumers who are prone to impulse purchases. Online banking makes it possible to instantly transfer funds from your savings to your main account so you can make a purchase. On the plus side, online banking makes it easy to see how much money you have and to pay bills.

Security Problems

Online banking issues include security. Thankfully, most banks make security one of their priorities. There are still some risks associated with using online banking, especially for users who use these services on unsecured connections. Banks need to store sensitive information for each consumer, which could be catastrophic in case of a security breach. Being able to transfer and withdraw money quickly also means that a person could empty out a bank account if they are able to obtain the login credentials.

Phishing Scams

Using an online banking service might make a person more vulnerable to phishing scams. These scams look like genuine emails from a bank or from another site and trick the user into sharing their login credential. It is possible to identify these scams by looking at the address of the sender or at the link shared, but a user who regularly connects to an online banking service might fall for one of these emails.

Learning Curve

Young adults are able to adopt online banking and familiarize themselves with the features of this service very easily. However, there might be a learning curve for other consumers who are used to going to their local branch for their banking needs. There is also the issue of some consumers not being able to security risks and not knowing how to tell if they are using a secure connection to check their bank account. Some banks have helpful educational material to help consumers navigate their online banking system, but other institutions do very little to educate consumers about online banking.

There are a few downsides to online banking, but this service is a very convenient way to let consumers manage their bank accounts. It is important for banks to educate consumers regarding security issues, phishing scams, and to provide them with the information they need to quickly familiarize themselves with online banking services.