Top Five Tracks of "I like it when..."

Top Five Tracks of "I like it when..."

I don't think any album in 2016 can top this.

27
Top Five Tracks of "I like it when..."
thelineofbestfit

The 1975, one of my favorite bands for a couple of years now, dropped an insanely hot and long awaited album this year, "I like it when you sleep, for you are so beautiful yet so unaware of it," a complete mouthful in comparison to their debut album "The 1975." Taking a totally different angle aesthetically and musically, the shameless pop sound has only skyrocketed the band's popularity. It's taken a while to let the album and its brilliance totally soak in, especially as it involved waiting for some of the music videos to drop, but here is my personal list of the top songs on the album.

1. UGH!

You're the only thing that's going on in my mind.

This song is also dark in its message, a song about struggling with coming down from a cocaine high and trying to kick the habit while recognizing that he just won't give it up. Vulnerable, sad, and yet still easy to move to, this song is also incredible. It was probably my favorite single off the album as well, more so than "Love Me." The music video is a strange mix of melancholy and humor, with Matty dad-dancing and grooving, but the sad reality of the lyrics make it kind of gloomy.

2. A Change of Heart

Now you just look like anyone.

This song is my current obsession, and yet very easy to under-appreciate. I didn't really care for it when I first listened to the album in its entirety, but it's my favorite right now. It's about his feelings changing for a girl, and not in a good way. She's lost her charm to him, and ultimately her place in his heart. The melody is pretty and heavy on the synth, which makes it mesmerizing. The music video is also super captivating, featuring a clown's tragic love story.

3. Please Be Naked

I would describe this song as hauntingly beautiful. The title suggests some risque lyrics, but actually the track is totally instrumental as it builds, twinkles, collapses into piano, and creates a stunning and thoughtful piece. This one made me think of sitting outside at night watching the stars.

4. The Ballad of Me and My Brain

Well I think I've gone mad, isn't that so sad?

This song stands out incredibly on the album. As it starts with what sounds like a cathedral choir, Matty Healy's voice rasps, screams, and wails through the three minute song, dodging fans and jumping on cars as he literally loses his brain and spends the song searching for it. This is a clever following to the song "Lostmyhead." Witty, playful, and sad all at the same time, this track is really clever.

5. She Lays Down

She just wants to feel something, and I don't think that's asking for too much.

This is the last track of the album, and it's a heartbreaker. The song is about his mother's struggles with postpartum depression, and her attempts to love her son. It's so sad and so raw and real. Very different from most tracks on the album, it's just an acoustic guitar and Healy's voice, seemingly untouched. This song is a good display of how unpredictable the band can be, as this track differs from the 80s style pop that we heard on most of the album.