Top 8 Jake Gyllenhaal Performances

Top 8 Jake Gyllenhaal Performances

Disappointed I couldn't add "Bubble Boy."

160
Top 8 Jake Gyllenhaal Performances

Jake Gyllenhaal is and always has been one of my favorite actors to date. Not only do I enjoy a number of his films and consider some of them my favorites, but every performance he delivers is exceptional. What’s weird to me is I feel that when people mention the greatest modern actors, you will hear names like Johnny Depp, Robert Downey Jr., Matt Damon, and others like them. However, Jake Gyllenhaal has proven that his track record certainly measures up to the talents of these actors. The range of characters he portrays is remarkable and he continues to dazzle audiences with every role he takes on. Although his track record is very solid, here are eight of his performances that are some of his best and most memorable (not in any specific order).

1. Louis Bloom ("Nightcrawler")

From all of the films I have seen Jake Gyllenhaal in, I can honestly say this was the most fun role to watch him in. But if you have seen the film you will understand when I say “fun,” it is not the word to use to describe the character of Louis Bloom, a crime journalist Gyllenhaal transforms into. Gyllenhaal dove into this character so deeply that his physical transformation, in my opinion, didn’t not even closely match up with the quietly sinister nature Lou has (although his physical transformation was impressive as well) and develops throughout the film. The “hunger” to succeed and his determination to be the best is displayed in Gyllenhaal’s physical appearance where the two coincide with one another, which is what makes both sides of his transformation so remarkable.

2. Brian Taylor ("End of Watch")

I have only seen this movie once, so the fact that I’m adding this performance to the list says a lot compared to other performances by him I have seen many times. Jake Gyllenhaal’s performance in "End of Watch" is certainly a memorable one as he plays a police officer for the LAPD. It was amazing to see Gyllenhaal show two sides to his character, the devoted husband and an intimidating officer. Some scenes I felt afraid of his character, Brian Taylor. For example, if he ever pulled me over I would just put my hands behind my head immediately right there and then. But, he also has a softer side that you see when he is off duty. The way he took one character with two sides and portrayed both in an extremely believable way was great to see.

3. Adam Bell/Anthony Claire ("Enemy")

Now, in "Enemy" Gyllenhaal really plays two characters. Given this is one of my favorite movies, I feel if they cast anyone else the movie would have turned out a whole lot different. Given that the film deals with a man struggling with his identity after discovering he has a doppelganger, Gyllenhaal had to play both roles as Adam and Anthony. For anyone who has seen it, it is vital that these characters were portrayed differently but with just a little similarity to keep the audience guessing who they are even looking at in the film. Getting to actually see Gyllenhaal play two separate roles in one film really displayed his acting talents and how he can get into the mindset of not just one, but two characters for one film.

4. Donnie Darko ("Donnie Darko")

Although some might disagree and think other Gyllenhaal performances may have beat out Donnie Darko, this was such an iconic role that it couldn’t not have been added. But, what is impressive is how well Gyllenhaal did in the film given that it was just at the start of his career. Although he is an average high school boy (and when I say average, I mean in the sense that…okay, never mind, he’s not average at all), he suffers from hallucinations that cause him to see a seven or eight-foot tall bunny who speaks to him. Although the delivery of his lines are well done, the creepy looks and the visual way Gyllenhaal presents Donnie makes him one of the most interesting teenagers in a film in decades.

5. Jack Twist ("Brokeback Mountain")

This was another of Gyllenhaal’s roles that he is often greatly remembered for. The movie deals with two cowboys who are offered positions as sheep herders and the secret relationship that develops as a result between the two men. Gyllenhaal plays Jack Twist and, given the mature nature of the role, Gyllenhaal played it honestly and with intensity, where he was even nominated for a number of awards, including BAFTA awards. It’s one that really can’t be missed because it is done with so much heart and pain all at once.

6. Detective Loki ("Prisoners")

In "Prisoners," Jake Gyllenhaal plays Detective Loki, who is assigned to a case centering on the abduction of two young girls on Thanksgiving. However, Gyllenhaal did not just go around acting like a generic detective who asks the questions, records his information, and delivers it to his superiors. The slightly unstable nature of his character catches the audience’s eyes immediately. Gyllenhaal added his own touches to the character, giving him a slight twitch and quiet aggression that gives me chills. The role is so dark, but one of the most intriguing performances he has given in recent films he has done.

7. Robert Graysmith ("Zodiac")

From a first look into the film, it seems like Gyllenhaal is yet again playing a detective role. However, when you watch the film you realize his character, Robert Graysmith, is really a cartoonist for the San Francisco Chronicle who becomes so absorbed in the Zodiac killer case that he pursues it partly on his own. I mean what can I say, it’s a solid role in a fantastic movie and, as always, Gyllenhaal kills it.

8. Anthony Swoffard ("Jarhead")

"Jarhead" is yet another great role, but this time Gyllenhaal plays Anthony Swoffard, a sniper in the U.S. Marine Corps. It’s really cool to see how Gyllenhaal starts off as this more shy, meek character who is preparing for his training and then does a full 180 to become one of the most intimidating yet respected soldiers in his unit. The audience can actually see Gyllenhaal’s character grow throughout the film so when you compare the beginning to the end you are almost looking at a completely different person. He really nails this role.

With many more films on the way, Jake Gyllenhaal will be sure to impress audiences with whichever roles he takes on next with to his dedication and incredible talent.