My Top 7 Tracks Off Of The Weeknd's New Album 'Starboy'

"Abel Tesfaye, you are an international treasure."

84
www.etonline.com

The only way you haven't already listened to The Weeknd's new album, "Starboy," is if you've been living under a rock for the past week. This album is everywhere and currently the top 10 on basically any chart ranking newly released music tracks. Almost every song on the album even made it to the international playlist for popular songs on Spotify just one day after its debut. I may be a loyal fan to the musician from his previous works, but Abel Tesfaye truly outdid himself this time around. Every track is unique, beautiful, and tells a story of love, tragedy, arrogance, sadness, and really speaks to our generation in the desires and fears we feel due to social media and popular culture. Tesfaye has a remarkable soulfulness that stands out from any other musician releasing music right now. I am so proud of him and wanted to take the time to rank (what I think are) the top 7 tracks off his album. I have been blasting these electric tracks through my headphones since only moments after its release. Out of a whopping 18 tracks, here's what I think are the top 7 tracks off The Weeknd's new album, "Starboy."

7. "Reminder"

I just won a new award for a kids show
Talking 'bout a face-numbing off a bag a blow

Tesfaye is a bad-boy repeater. His cocky demeanor will charge your mood instantly and electrify your spirit. However, he does bring us down from our cloud with a quick, "reminder," that he is, in fact, "not a teen choice," as his story telling is R-rated and reckless. He knows his influence is real and our youth are quite impressionable. We are becoming so used to what should be "shocking" that we group him in with other artists that aren't even close to being in his league and in no way are able to challenge his rapid-fire and dangerous lyrics. He will not be grouped with these artists, and will make sure we realize just exactly what he is singing about.

6. "Party Monster"

I'm like, got up, thank the Lord for the day

Woke up by a girl, I don't even know her name

Here, we get back to The Weeknd's usual rockstar antics, but it's a little vamped up this time around. With a new sound, he reintroduces his wild and lavish lifestyle with the same bold lyrics that originally shocked and pleased all of us. The new sound is techno with a rock vibe. His sound is original, which is something the critics don't get to say too often. Abel Tesfaye, you are an international treasure.

5. "I Feel It Coming" (Feat. Daft Punk)

You've been scared of love and what it did to you
You don't have to run, I know what you've been through
Just a simple touch and it can set you free

I know i'm not the only one that got some serious MJ vibes from this song. Tesfaye is truly one of the most unique and genuinely talented musicians in the industry right now. This song will always be one of my dear favorites. It's upbeat, cool, and nostalgic for anyone who recognizes the 70s feel to it. Again, Tesfaye proves to be the most innovative popular artist in the charts with his bold music that challenges our conditioning to the usual, "pop," music we are exposed to and expect from current artists.

4. "True Colors"

Girl, come show me your true colors
Paint me a picture with your true colors

This song is absolutely beautiful. It's also one of many (basically all of them) songs off of the album that are structured in a way that is unique to most songs on the radio. The Weeknd structures his songs in a way that makes the audience feel rather than focus on the lyrics themselves. The mood, style, vocals, and lyrical repletion speaks to the listener. Tesfaye is legendary in his production strategies as he is innovative, remarkable, and unique, in his giving the audience a true experience.

3. "Starboy" (Feat. Daft Punk)

Coming for the king, that's a far cry, ah
I come alive in the fall time, I

Everyone knows this song. It's everywhere, and I mean everywhere...which is possibly the best thing to happen to all of us. Tesfaye has made it clear in several interviews that he is nothing like his alter ego, "The Weekend," as he is laid back, shy, and not one for bragging. This song is the best example of his alter ego taking over, as he is arrogant, flashy, mouthy, quick, sassy, all while owning up to his growing success. There is no way you won't feel cool spitting out these lyrics.

2. "Sidewalks" (Feat. Kendrick Lamar)

I ran out of tears when I was 18

So nobody made me but the main streets

'Cause too many people think they made me

Well, if they really made me then replace me

This song is one of the many that includes an amazing feature, this time around being the legendary Kendrick Lamar. This particular song has the coolest vibe off of the whole album. With electric guitar and a jazzy feel to it, there is no doubt it will be a hit. The song's lyrics are framed around Tesfaye's coming to fame. The musician claims the streets made him and will never let him down no matter how crazy his new lavish lifestyle may be. The Weeknd certainly gives credit where it's due: his life wouldn't be the way it is without his struggles growing up.

1. "Die For You"

You're scared to be lonely
'Specially in the night
I'm scared that I'll miss you
Happens every time

Maybe it’s just my love for the OTP of Hadid and Tesfaye (and the fact that their recent breakup has ripped my heart in two), but this song immediately earned the number one spot out of all the tracks on the album and the number one spot in my heart. This song is soulful, rich, and heatbreaking. You can hear his sadness in the haunting melody that cycles through the background as Tesfaye’s vocals melt into your heart. Definitely the top spot in my opinion, without a doubt.

BONUS: "Stargirl Interlude" (Feat. Lana Del Rey)

And I shouldn't cry, but I love it, starboy

The Weekend has a very special relationship with the famous songstress, Lana Del Rey. Tesfaye states, "I was making my music and it felt like Lana Del Rey's lyrics and my lyrics were talking to each other sometimes. She's one of my closest friends in the industry." They've even described each other as muse for their art. When listening to this track, you can't help but feel the chemistry in their voices as they sing to one another. This song is purely magic and a reminder that music is a feeling, and should be experienced as such. One listen, and you'll fall in love with the heat of this song.