Top 5 Snacks In Beijing

Top 5 Snacks In Beijing

120
Top 5 Snacks In Beijing

Top 5 snacks in Beijing

If you ever get a chance to visit Beijing, these Top 5 snacks are the ones that you can't miss. Or just take a study break to go through these good-looking pictures that will never disappoint you I promise! Beijing snacks represent the snacks of many Chinese ethnic groups such as Han, Hui, Mongol, as well as traditional imperial snacks from the Ming (1368-1644) and Qing (1644-1912) dynasties. These snacks’ prices are among $2-$5 which can be easily afforded by average-income Beijingers, and this is the reason why they are so popular.

1.Sweet Potatoes and Corns

Sweet potatoes are an important part of winter in China, especially in the Northern part. If you go to visit Beijing, many carts by the side of the road sell roast sweet potatoes throughout the country, or Kao Hong Shu (烤红薯). It is the kind of food that can keep you warm in an extremely freezing day. Another popular snack is called the corn on the cob, or Kao Yu Mi (玉米). Corn is boiled in hobs on the street, and are cheap and tasty.

2. Tang Hu Lu (Sugar Gourd)

Tang Hu Lu consists of candied fruits (such as strawberries, grapes, and mandarin oranges) on bamboo skewers that are approximately 20 cm long. This snack can be found widely along the snack street of Wangfu Jing. There are also other street vendors who travel from place to place selling it. This incredible sweet and simple snack of fruit is only 3 yuan ($0.5) per skewer.

3. Wheaten cake boiled in meat broth (卤煮火锅)

This traditional Beijing snack dates back to the Qing Dynasty. Tofu, baked wheaten bread (“Man Tou”), pork chop, chitterlings and pork lung are cut into pieces and then boiled in the preserved meat broth. It is served with vinegar, mashed garlic, chives and coriander.

4. Stir-fried starch knots

Chao ge da (炒疙瘩), or stir-fried starch knots, is a kind of Chinese pasta. As a traditional Muslim snack, it was invented almost 100 years ago. The dough, made from wheat and corn flour, is chopped, boiled in water and then immersed in cold water. Fresh beef or chicken is sliced and stir-fried with oil and seasonings and then stir-fried again with the starch knots and various seasonal vegetables.

5. Tofu Nao (豆腐脑)

In northern China, Tofu Nao is often eaten with soy sauce, thus resulting in a savory flavor. It is a light soupy dish made with tofu, peanut butter, coriander and soy sauce. Local Beijing people usually eat Tofu Nao for breakfast with eggs or You Tiao 油条(fried dough sticks). Dou Fu Nao can be found at breakfast stands along the streets in the morning.