Top 5 Problems with School Life

Top 5 Problems with School Life

What are the worst parts about academics?

962
Top 5 Problems with School Life
The Atlantic

I'm sure that everyone at this point in time has experienced the stress of school and how it affects all students. Maybe only a few people can relate to these feelings, but I'm sure everyone has either felt, or knows someone who has felt this way. Here are the top 5 reasons why school is so stressful:

1. Exams/Tests/Quizzes

It's remarkable, really, how much power exams have over students. In order to feel successful, students rely on their grades to feel better about what they are actually learning. The truth is that exams are weighted heavier and therefore, have a more significant impact on our lives. Usually students stress most when they are unsure of where to even start. When a professor assigns a test, my best advice is to review chapter outlines, look for practice quizzes, and study flashcards that can be found on websites such as Quizlet. It's better to be over-prepared than sorry.

2. Excessive Homework

When teachers assign homework, it is supposedly to help us get more practice with the information. However, sometimes teachers assign too much homework, or questions that can be completed in class with the same amount of practice as we would get at home. Getting homework in every class adds up over time and eventually we "only" have 8 hours of homework to do each night. For homework, the best rule to follow is get ahead. Get ahead of the system by doing small things from each assignment during free moments you have, rather than cramming it all in that night. When you get ahead, you are less stressed about all of the things you have to do.

3. Projects

Projects can either be fun or completely horrible; there is no in between. The issue with group projects is that one person ends up doing all the work regardless, and the rest just sit by and watch. Another thing about projects is that they are usually assigned significantly prior to when they are do. This becomes a problem for students with the habit of procrastination, because they will wait until the last day to do it regardless of the amount of time you give them. It's important to set specific goals/due dates for yourself so that you can get it done on time and not have to worry so much about it.

4. Sleep

If you add up all the time we spend doing homework, studying, preparing for projects, or whatever else you have to do for school, it becomes a lot. We spend more time working on school stuff, when we should be taking care of our bodies. Students spend so much time on school work that it does not allow them a significant amount of time to get the rest that we need. Sleep is very important and we need it to survive.

5. Social Butterflies

With school taking up most of our time, we rarely have time to do things for just us. If you are in a sport, it is virtually impossible to spend time with friends when all you do is eat, sleep, and go to school. School leaves us with no time to socialize, make good friends and form the healthy relationships we need. Try keeping up with your social life and academic life by setting aside time to take a break from your studies for a bit and have some fun.

Overall, there are infinite numbers of problems with school, but complaining about them won't do anything except waste your time. Yes, you may be having struggles, but everyone else is too. If you think there are more important stresses of school, feel free to comment below.