Top 5 Quarantine Films

Top 5 Quarantine Films

These are five films I've enjoyed while being quarantined.

13
Top 5 Quarantine Films

It's an understatement to say that the world right now kind of sucks. A global pandemic is keeping us all inside and keeping us from our jobs and our loved ones. During this time I just wanted to do something simple and light to get our minds off of the many bad things happening in the world right now, so here are some films I've been enjoying over these past few weeks that I hope you will come to enjoy too.

The Wizard (1989)

mentalfloss.com

Many from the generation before mine remember "The Wizard" quite fondly due to it being one massive nostalgia trip. The Nintendo Era of video games comes to life as classic games are displayed in all of their glory in this road trip film. While many blast the film as nothing but a glorified Nintendo commercial (to be fair it is also that too), but it is one that does have a heart at its center, dealing with themes like childhood trauma and reuniting a broken family. I think it's definitely worth your time.

Meatballs (1979)

funny115.com

"Meatballs" is a screwball comedy starring Bill Murray as an unconventional camp counselor. This film definately acts as the blueprint for most of the Murray/Reitman comedies that ran through most of the 1980s such as "Ghostbusters" and "Caddyshack". Most of the teen based coming of age humor would set the tone for many comedies that followed. While some of the jokes haven't exactly aged well, it's still a fun movie that reminds us of the times when we could all go outside.

Cats Don't Dance (1997)

ohsogeeky.com

"Cats Don't Dance" is an animated film about a cat who dreams about making it big in Hollywood during the 1930s. However, his plans are constantly roadblocked by the seemingly nice but ultimately ruthless child actor Darla Dimple. The film was a commercial failure at the time, but has since grown a cult following due to its catchy songs, lovable characters, fluid animation, and how it focuses on important theme (such as the racist hiring policies in Hollywood at the time). The film also features one of the most ruthless and disturbingly animated villains in the form of Darla Dimple. If you missed your chance to see this in the theaters at the time you should definitely check it out now.

UHF (1989)

thedissolve.com

"UHF" is a film that embodies everything that makes "Weird Al" Yankovic a comic legend. The film focuses on Al and his friends trying to make a local TV station successful. The film bounces from one whack idea to the next and never lets up. The film even features many sequences that display his ability to parody films, such as "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and "Rambo: First Blood Part II". The film is a great laugh and we honestly need more of those right now.

Clue (1985)

mentalfloss.com

"Clue" is a film that has no right being as good as it is. In a world where films based on board games are often just cash grabs, it's hard to remember that one them was actually good. "Clue" is a hilarious film that knows how to have fun with the convoluted plots and eccentric characters in both the game and the murder mystery genre the game was based on. It knows how to play with genre staples, like revealing the entire plot at the end and red herrings. The film also features three different conclusions to the mystery, but I won't give that away. I guess you'll just have to see for yourself.