5 Shows You Should Be Watching On Netflix Right Now

Netflix is a hobby of mine, so trust me on this.

82

I spend pretty much all my free time watching Netflix originals, so I'd say by now I'm an expert. Here's a list of my top 5 Netflix shows, with a little bit of everything thrown in to fit everyone's style of watching.

The Politician

The Politician on Instagram

This just released at the end of September, and if you haven't binged it yet I don't know what to tell you. Ryan Murphy, the creator of American Horror Story, Glee, and Scream Queens among other shows, is an absolute genius when it comes to creating must-watch tv.

The Politician follows high school senior Payton Hobart as he fights to win the student body presidency.

Payton is a young politician blooming, with big dreams of becoming President of the United States, and he knows exactly what to do to reach his goals. The show has scandal left and right, from a very Gypsy Rose like reveal to runaway rich girls trying to be like the poor people.

Dry and dark humor is littered throughout the brilliant script, giving us lines reminiscent of the "did they really just say that?" moments of Glee.

A personal favorite of mine: "It's what gays do, munch butts and celebrate Halloween" said by the wickedly funny Jessica Lange. Oh, and there's a completely religious experience featuring Ben Platt singing "River" at a Memoriam.

The show wouldn't be complete without its musical moments, and it would've been a shame not feature the talents of one of Broadway hottest stars.

Derry Girls

From nocontextderrygirls on Tumblr

Shoutout to Karen Kilgariff of My Favorite Murder for putting me on to this show. If you're looking for a show that will keep you laughing, sometimes so hard you think you're finally getting abs, then PLEASE watch this show.

Derry Girls follows a group of Catholic high school girls (and their handsome British mate) during the 1990s in Derry London, Northern Ireland.

Each episode is a riot of figuring out what exactly being a teenager means, from finding the perfect dress for the dance to accidentally setting a local fish and chips shop on fire, and ends with a scene featuring what is happening with the political discourse in Northern Ireland.

It's like a healthy dose of a history lesson you didn't pay attention to from the funniest stand-up comedian you can think of. The show is heartwarming, authentic, and gives us plenty of fashion icon moments to pull inspiration from.

The Society

Have you ever wondered what a group of high school juniors and seniors would do if they were abandoned in their hometown with no parents and no way out?

Lucky for you, The Society will tell you. Students of West Ham High School leave for a camping trip, only to have their buses turn around and drop them back home. But home isn't how they left it.

Their parents, siblings, and any other member of the town is nowhere to be found. In the first episode, they make the chilling discovery that there's no internet, cable, or data and that the roads have all been blocked from getting out. (They also hold a huge kegger in a church if that's any consolation on how the show goes.)

If they try to walk through the woods, they just end up going in a huge circle around the town. It's up to them to create a society, and as you can imagine, much conflict ensues as they decide who will lead and how.

The show features smart commentary on building a working democracy and justice system with life-altering consequences with every decision.

The Society features subtle supernatural elements as Gordie and Bean, the two smartest kids in school, look for the reasons as to why they've been placed there and how to get back home. Not all of it is dark though, with sweet romantic moments between characters (#Grizzam for life) and an attempt at normalcy with a high school prom.

TW: abusive relationships, murder, violent fighting

Dead to Me

From caroldanversenthusiast on Tumblr

Linda Cardellini and Christina Applegate. Need I say more?

Dead to Me is a dark comedy that explores the oddly funny side of grief and forgiveness. Jen's, Christina Applegate's character, husband died in a tragic hit and run.

Shortly after she meets Judy, Linda Cardellini, at a grief session for widows. The two become close friends almost immediately over a deep bond for "The Facts of Life", but it isn't long until secrets surface that tests their relationship. It's quirky and wonderfully shot, with season two coming out 2020, so get on it.

Mindhunter

from Carbon Arc on Creative Commons

This is for all my true crime lovers out there. This show follows the real story of FBI agents Holden Ford and Bill Tench as they attempt to understand the psyche of serial killers before there was even a term for them.

It's set in the late 1970s, with the first season heavily featuring interviews between Holden and serial killer Ed Kemper. The show is full of psychological twists and dark subject matter, so if you're sensitive to murder on screen be wary. It isn't featured heavily but there are graphic mentions and some scenes showing the act.

The second season follows the Atlanta Child Murders as well as the Manson family crimes. Follow Holden and Bill as they pioneer the way to profiling and catching serial killers in America.

This is perfect for all true crime junkies, and Holden Ford is played by Jonathan Groff, so what more could you really ask for?