4 Travel Tips for People Who Hate Flying

How to avoid common nuisances and travel comfortably.

35

Traveling, while one of the most rewarding experiences, can end up being taxing. This time of the year is one fraught with overwhelming travel demands for many, which leaves us physically drained and inhibits our ability to enjoy ourselves once we reach our destination. To make this season's travels easier, I've singled out the top four issues that arise while flying and thought up some clever solutions for more comfortable traveling.

Problem 1: Dying phone

We've all felt the desperation that accompanies trying to be be frugal with our phone use in an effort to conserve its battery on a long flight, which puts us in danger of in-flight boredom. Most of us rely on our devices to remain entertained on a flight and distract ourselves from any in-flight nuisances. To maintain a pleasant travel experience, consider picking up a backup battery to keep your phone charged while you use your phone with reckless abandon.

Problem 2: Inability to sleep

Long flights can be draining to any traveler, so it is best to rest up while flying rather than missing out on time spent enjoying your destination to catch up on sleep. Not all of us were blessed with the ability to sleep anywhere, a skill that is coveted on long trips with multiple layovers, so my suggestion is to bring a lightweight, compact blanket along with you to help get comfortable wherever you are. It won't take up much room, and it makes a world of difference in allowing you to get comfy enough to catch a few z's.

Problem 3: Looking bedraggled

As a result of sitting in a cramped seat, shuffling through security, and lugging around 50 pounds worth of luggage through airplanes and airports, one will often find themselves looking less than prime by the time they reach their destination. I don't think rolling out of the airport looking bedraggled is any way to start off a trip, so my advice is to skip wearing makeup (it'll get smudged on the plane) and instead focus on keeping your skin moisturized. Planes have incredibly dry air, so be sure to drink water and use moisturizing products on your skin.

Problem 4: In-flight boredom

Lack of internet connection can be a hindrance to staying entertained, and we've all longed for more things to do on the plane once we have tired of that emergency game on our phone (after being glued to it for an hour). Someone over at Netflix must have heard our silent cries, because now users can download select programs and stream them while offline! Before your next trip, be sure to prepare a few things to watch to prevent in-flight boredom.