4 Things I’ve Learned While Living In A Small Town

A small town life isn't like anything else

613
Mark Gibzon

It's easy to have an ambition of something more, something bigger and better… but when it's all said and done, nothing beats living in a small town.

1. Small town = the best memories

Photo creds: Kelly Emmons

I am from Wheelersburg, Ohio. Coming from a small town, with a population of around 6,000 to be exact, makes it very simple to become familiar with most of the faces you will see on a day-today basis. A small town creates a certain sense of pride to be at home because people grow proud of what they have grown from and who they have grown with. Special bonds are easily created in school because of the small numbers of students who attend. Schools amount to roughly 500 students in a high school. Personally, when I was in high school I was acquainted with most of the people I passed in the hallways each day. Not that I knew each person on a personal level, but their faces were never new.

Having a general idea of the people you are surrounded by every day gave us the opportunity to form very close-knit relationships, because, well, we didn't have much of an option of who we could make friends with. Just kidding… Of course, just like movies about high schoolers, there were certain cliques and groups of people with their own individuality who connect with others whom they share certain likes and/or hobbies. My class was one of the closest ones I had seen in awhile. We grew as one big group, rather than adding to the high school cliche of cliques portrayed in said movies. We connected and bonded more than those before us and those to come. We really just "got" each other and this created the best memories of my life so far.

2. Sports are everything

Photo Creds: NEO Sports Insiders

Adding on, close-knitted relationships did not only exist in the schools, but even in the community. For my home town specifically, sports binds the community together more so than anything else. The amount of support in such a small town is unreal. At every football game half of the population of Wheelersburg fills the stands. They shake milk jugs full of corn kernels and scream until their voices are gone just to cheer on a high school team. To some, a high school football program is nothing more than some bulky guys running around a field while chasing and throwing a ball, but to Wheelersburg… it is the main tradition that holds everyone together with the same popular interest. It creates the best memories for everyone to save for the rest of their lives. Because of the passion and love from the guys on the team, and the dedicated community members, Wheelersburg went on to win a state championship in 2017 for the first time since 1989.

Football is not the only winning sport in my small town. The softball team was the best in the state of Ohio. Matter of fact, they won a state championship in 2016. The community was overwhelmed with the amount of talent this group of girls portrayed and their ability to work together as not only a team, but more importantly a family. The younger softball team (11-12 year old girls) actually won the WORLD SERIES little league championship. This game was broadcasted on the ESPN channel for people to watch at home. The game itself was in Oregon... so not many people were able to make the trip to watch the game. This, however, did not stop the support. Homes all over Ohio had this game playing on their television LIVE so they could cheer on these talented girls all the way to their huge win. Each of these championships made history in the small town of Wheelersburg, Ohio. It made it evident that nothing would ever be impossible here again. This brought the community to stand as one more than ever before. Nonetheless, a small town connects those in it way more personal than those in a city or a larger populated area, and this is the key to making the best memories with those around you. Close-knit relationships are able to be created as well as memories to last a lifetime.

2. Word travels quickly

Photo Creds: Clipart.me

As annoying as it may be, yes, everyone is bound to know your business. Everyone knows rumors can be the devil. They are the ultimate key to destroying anyone's reputation. People believe rumors as if they are complete truth. If they heard it, then it must be true. This is especially common in a small town, because of course, stories travel quickly and whether they are true or not doesn't matter. One of the main things people love to do is listen to the gossip...the newest and juiciest word on someone they know. In a small town, secrets rarely exist. Like I said, everyone knows everyone and once a certain detail leaves your tongue then it is out forever. Your "friend" tells their friend, and so on. The next day, you find out that your first kiss with your boyfriend turned into you finding out you're pregnant! People will put a spin on any small detail only to make it more interesting for the next person they tell. However, things are not generally this bad. Since we live in a small town and things travel quickly like I said, the truth is bound to come out. Eventually, you will find out the slander being spread around about you and you'll be able to save yourself from the rest of the damnation. Living in a small, close community makes it easier to create the picture of yourself that you would like others to see. If there is a nasty rumor about yourself, don't worry. You will be able to redeem yourself at some point down the road. The truth cannot be denied forever, especially in a small town! This can either be a blessing or a curse, of course.

3. You get the chance to dream bigger

Photo Creds: Wheelersburg High School Media

My hometown is in the Appalachian area of Ohio. We are surrounded by trees, farms, and acres upon acres of land. When we're bored we jump in the car and take Sunday drives as far as the road goes until a dead end. When we're with our friends, a common place people go to meet up and talk is the high school football field. There is not much to offer in my small town except for the bonding between family and friends. Relationships are one of the most important things to have in life. However, money is unfortunately a necessity to live, and the amount of jobs in this area is slim to none. The main job opportunities include becoming a nurse, teacher, or a firefighter. This can suffice to those who dream to profess in these areas, but some people have different interests. That being said, it forces these people to come up with a "plan b"… People like me specifically. I am an aspiring journalist, and the opportunity for me to be successful in this area is very poor. People write for the city newspaper and that's about it. Thus, I had to find a different approach to this aspiration.

Now my goals include moving to a more largely populated area where there are more job opportunities for people with similar interests. I grew up in a small town. I was raised around all of the best people according to attitude, morals, and manners… but it just wasn't enough for me. I love the people here, but there is simply nothing to do. At a young age, I knew if I wanted to accomplish my largest dreams then I would be forced to move away and become my own person. Luckily, I know I am ready because my home town has prepared me for all of this. Just because the job opportunity is slim, does not mean the area is awful. It has much more to offer than what outsiders may see. People are everything, and I have surely learned this in the past nineteen years of my life. Some people think because they are raised in a small town then they are stuck there, except it is just the opposite. Growing up in this town and seeing a dent in the variety of occupations inspired me to take these morals, attitudes, and manners with me to a new place where I can share it with others. People like me with larger aspirations will carry these great memories with us, and get to do so while accomplishing our goals in life.

Growing up in a small town sort of gave me a kick in the rear end and showed me the importance of following through with your biggest goals. I am proud to come from a small town called Wheelersburg, and I always will be.