Top 3 MLB Free Agents

Top 3 MLB Free Agents

Where will they go?

3
Top 3 MLB Free Agents

It is one of my favorite times of the year; the time right after the World Series where all the free agent speculation begins. I am going to talk about the top three most appealing free agents and where I believe they will end up.

The number one pitching free agent in my mind is Zach Greinke. Greinke is a game changer, he had an unbelievable season going 19 and three with a sub two ERA. He pitched 220 plus innings with 200 strikeouts. Pitchers envy his skill set. He is a top of the rotation type of guy that could transform any team. But when someone puts up numbers like that normally it requires a hefty price tag. Greinke will be commanding at least a seven-year deal north of 200 million. There is only one team in my mind I think he will end up with, and that is the team he opted out of, the Los Angeles Dodgers. He opted out of his deal for the mere fact to get more money, similar to what Alex Rodriguez did in 2007 with the New York Yankees. Also the Dodgers are the new Yankees, and they will dish out insane amounts of money. So I do not believe Greinke will leave.

Staying with pitching, the second most appealing free agent is David Price. This man came over to the Toronto Blue Jays mid season and solidified their vulnerable pitching staff. He was a huge part of their transformation and why they made the playoffs for the first time in over two decades. He has always been an ace-type of pitcher but he will be 30 years old at the start of next season, and already has a lot of mileage on his arm. That will definitely detour some teams away from those huge deals. I think in the end he will stay with Toronto, but I do believe the Yankees will give them a run for their money. Toronto would be silly to not bring him back.

The third most appealing free agent this off season has to be Yoenis Cespedes. This man single handily carried the Mets to the World Series. You could argue it was their pitching, but they were not in first place at the deadline with the same pitching they had all season. When the Mets acquired Cespedes, he turned the lowest scoring team in the MLB to one of the best in the MLB. He is a power right-handed batter with a gun of an arm in the outfield. Now you have to question his work ethics due to the fact he has been on five teams in five seasons. Also his defense can be questionable at times with routes he takes to fly balls. But none the less, he is absolutely worth a four to seven year deal. I believe he will end up with the Yankees on a six year $170 million deal. The Yankees will try to trade either Gardner or Ellsbury and bring him in. They are lacking a right-hand power batter, and no one in their outfield has an arm. This would be a very smart move for the Yankees and a move that Cespedes would enjoy, since he loves playing in New York. That could be a game changer for the Yankees.

There is going to be a lot of movement this off season, and it will be very exciting to see. These are the top tier guys on teams radars, but there is plenty of second tier guys out there available to make a team a contender.