Top 13 Most Anticipated Fall Book Releases

Fall is the prime time to curl up by the fire with some hot cocoa and read, so the question of the hour is: Which book will you grab this fall?

502
Alisa Anton

2017 is a good year, book-wise anyway, so it might be difficult to keep track of all of the books being released this fall. Honorable mentions to books released earlier in the year, like the highly anticipated books that came out this summer. Check out my article for my Top Ten Anticipated Summer Reads list. I also wanted to mention sequels/continuations that are out/ or set to be released such as "Lois Lane: Triple Threat" Gwenda Bond, "Ringer" by Lauren Oliver and "Wild and Beauty" by Anna-Marie McLemore. Here are the books that a re must-reads for the new fall season.

1. “Sing, Unburied, Sing” by Jesmyn Ward

Release Date: September 5, 2017

Book Plot: A story of strength, starving forward, and struggle. This book follows the “adventure” of Jojo, his baby sister and his drug addicted mother when they end up on a road trip toward the Mississippi State Penitentiary (where Jojo’s white father is being released).

Reason for Excitement: Author of “Salvage the Bones” and “Men We Reaped”, Jesmyn Ward’s language is beautifully heartbreaking, poetic, and includes the harsh truths that everyone needs to face. This story focuses on true issues of forced adulthood, drugs, racial identity, and poverty.

2. “Little Fires Everywhere” by Celeste Ng

Release Date: September 12, 2017

Book Plot: The perfect plastic and calculated suburbs (especially the flawless Richardsons) get turned upside with the arrival of quirky Mia Warren and her daughter. Mia’s dark and vague past combined with the an adoption feud that splits the town in two leads to trouble between Elena Richardson and Mia. But this trouble doesn’t just bring out truth but comes with a price.

Reason for Excitement: Author of the bestselling “Everything I Never Told You”, this book takes a deeper understanding of the complex relationships between mother and daughter and the heartbreak that comes with living.

3. “Warcross” by Marie Lu

Release Date: September 12, 2017

Book Plot: When bounty hunter Emika hacks into the worldwide game Warcross, she thinks that her life is over. However, instead of getting arrested, she gets invited by the game creator be on the inside to find a leak in the game. Now, Emika must not only investigate, but survive—even if it means destroying all that is Warcross.

Reason for Excitement: From the author of both “the Legend” and the “Young Elites” trilogies, comes a story about how everything is all fun and games until life is on the line. And sometimes, even then, the game still goes on.

4. “The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic” by Leigh Bardugo

Release Date: September 26, 2017

Book Plot: This collection of short stories includes mythical elements of mystery, magic, and mayhem. This book may take place in the beautiful world created by Bardugo’s trilogy but the book takes a route of adventure, love, and glory all it’s own.

Reason for Excitement: Whether you’re a die-hard Grisha fan or new to the fandom, this spine-tingling adventure will keep you on your toes. Side Note: Make sure to check out her other book released this year, “Wonder Woman: Warbringer” (Aug 2017).

5. “Satellite” by Nick Lake

Release Date: October 3, 2017

Book Plot: Leo, Orion, and Libra will go against their all their instincts to reach an alien planet, called Earth. Born and raised on the space station, Moon 2, Leo must go against the odds to survive such a dangerous and out of this world environment.

Reason for Excitement: If the unusual tale of a space boy's journey "home" doesn't just fill you with hype, the heart pounding and beautiful truths spilled by Lake's language. I'd be sure to read his other heartfelt stories such as "There Will Be Lies" (2015) and "In Darkness" (2012).

6. “All of the Crooked Saints” by Maggie Stiefvater

Release Date: October 10, 2017

Book Plot: In a land filled with saints and darkness comes the Soria family, including three cousins with extraordinary powers. Despite the ability to perform miracles, this family is anything but a gift. All of them are looking for a miracle, but they should know more than most to be careful what you wish for.

Reason for Excitement: From the Author that brought you “The Raven Cycle” series is a story about mystical dreams, family, redemption, wonder, and the price people would pay for a miracle.

7. “Turtles All The Way Down” by John Green

Release Date: October 17, 2017

Book Plot: OCD Aza Holmes is trying hard to be the perfect person to her friends, family, even her teachers. Join her on her journey wit her best friend, Daisy, to investigate the mystery surrounding a billionaire fugitive

Reason for Excitement: His first work since his bestselling “The Fault in Our Stars” and the powerful “Looking for Alaska” comes a story about resilience when coming of age that might leave his old stories in the dust.

8. “The Floating World” by C. Morgan Babst

Release Date: October 17, 2017

Book Plot: When Cora refuses to leave her home during Hurricane Katrina, her father and his wife are forced to leave without her, causing the destruction of their marriage and Cora’s life. With the return of Del from New York and the mystery of Cora’s catatonic state, the family is left in as much shambles as the city.

Reason for Excitement: This story brings new faces to the forgotten victims of the Hurricane Katrina and sheds a light on stories that should be heard. It also brings up the racial issues that still plagues us, along with the notion that some deaths are avoidable.

9. "The Afterlife Of Holly Chase" by Cynthia Hand

Release Date: October 24, 2017

Book Plot: We all know this Christmas tale. On Christmas Eve, a scrooge was visited by three ghosts (past, present, and future) so that they may change their cruel ways. But what happens when scrooge doesn’t listen and things don't change? Well Holly Chase didn’t listen and then she died. Now, she’s the Ghost of Christmas Past, forever miserable. Even so, it's never too late to change things.

Reason for Excitement: From the Author of the book that moves you and the way you view living and dying “The Last Time We Say Goodbye” comes a the classic tale with a twists that keep on coming.

10. “Frankie” by Shivaun Plozza

Release Date: November 7, 2017

Book Plot: Isolated and angry, Frankie Vega doesn’t let anybody in and when her long lost so claimed half-brother shows up, he’s no exception. However, when her half-brother goes missing, Frankie searched for answers with the help of a cute stranger with a mystery past all his own. But the real question isn’t whether she will get the truth, but what it will cost her?

Reason for Excitement: Despite “Frankie” being her debut novel, Shivaun’s story explores dark humor about love and identity. However, her short story “The Point” which was published in an anthology of fiction entitled “Where the Shoreline Used to Be”.

11. “Renegades” by Marissa Meyer

Release Date: November 7, 2017

Book Plot: Nova hates the Renegades, the super-powered humans who established justice within the broken dystopian society. The Renegades are everyone’s light in the dark—unless you’re a villain they defeated. But the closer she gets to vengeance and villain loyalty, the closer she gets to a Renegade boy who believes in justice—and strangely, in her too.

Reason for Excitement: Author of the Lunar Chronicles and “Heartless”, this book dives into the difference between right and wrong. And similar to her contribution in the “Because You Love to Hate Me” anthology, she digs into the world of villains and what it truly means to be a hero.

12. “Whichwood” by Tahereh Mafi

Release Date: November 14, 2017

Book Plot: When Laylee is fated to clean the bodies of the dead, her hair turns silver and her actions numb. She can’t even remember the life she led before her mother died and her father lost himself soon after. But not all is what it seems when strangers turn familiar and color reappear and magic gains meaning.

Reason for Excitement: This book is a companion (not sequel) to the novel “Furthermore” so more exploration and magic within Tahereh’s world of beauty and imagination.

13. “No Saints in Kansas” by Amy Brashear

Release Date: November 14, 2017

Book Plot: A retelling of the true story that shook a nation. The Clutter family murder shattered the town and the last one to see them alive (Nancy Clutter’s boyfriend Bobby) left under the police’s eye. Nancy’s best friend Carly and Bobby are left outsiders but they share a secret. Dedicated to gaining the truth, Carly dives into the investigation but it all comes to a head when the real perps are caught and her father is their defense attorney. Now with the entire town gearing up their pitchforks, Carly is in for the fight of her life

Reason for Excitement: Truman Capote’s “In Cold Blood” gave you insight on the minds of the murders, but a real look into the lives of the Clutter’s family’s friends is a heartbreaking truth none of us realized we needed.