A Dozen Annoying Customers Habits That Drive Employees Crazy

Told from the point of view of a gas station sales associate.
54

As a college student, I know the importance of having a job. I have to be able to pay for my education and still be able to live. However, just because I know the importance doesn’t mean I like it. Currently, I am a sales associate at 7-Eleven and the job is less than graceful. The majority of what makes it ungraceful are the customers.

Here are 12 habits that customers have:

1. When people don’t know their gas pump number

I mean it’s just annoying. If you know you are getting gas, then look at the number, it’s not that difficult.

2. When they walk in on their phone.

On the phone

It’s just rude. I’m here to help, so put the phone down and let me help.

3. When they place their items on the opposite end of the counter closer to them and further from you.

Rolling Eyes

That’s just an inconvenience, especially if it’s a wide counter.

4. Go through entire purchase then decide you want something else.

Really?

Again, annoying and an inconvenience, especially if that thing is lotto tickets.

5. Throw money at you.

Throwing Money

Last time I checked I wasn’t a stripper. You can nicely hand me the money and not throw it at me.

6. Not reading signs/instructions

People are in such a rush they just completely ignore everything around them. Like sorry, the card machine at my store doesn’t take chip and it clearly states it so don’t shove your card into the machine.

7. Not saying please or thank you.

Thank You

I know I am getting paid for the job but sometimes a little gratitude would be nice since I am serving you.

8. Just being plain rude.

How Rude

This one is self-explanatory. Just be nice.

9. Yelling at you for rules you have no control over.

Yelling

I am sorry it inconveniences you, but I did not make the rules I am only there to enforce them.

10. Hit on/proposition you

Okay, so this one really irks me. As a young female, I get hit on a lot and sometimes certain men take it too far. Like sorry, I will not have sex with you for money nor will I willingly come with you because you say I have a nice rear. It is annoying and I am a person not a piece of meat to be ogled.

11. When people are in a rush

I know you stop at a gas station for a quick stop. But that doesn’t mean you can’t slow down and be courteous to those around you who may also be in a rush or to the civil servant behind the counter doing her best.

12. Give attitude when you ask for ID

Asking for ID

OK, so this one is aimed specifically at our generation. Just because you are old enough to purchase cigarettes and alcohol doesn’t mean you look it. Just give them your ID and if you don’t have it, well shame on you. That’s your fault, not ours.