10 Things Incoming Freshman At The University Of Miami Must Know

There are many distractions, yet amazing opportunities that can make you to sink or swim your first year.

1069
Instagram

Coming into college is stressful for everyone: you, your parents, your friends, your pets. But, being an upcoming freshman at the University of Miami is even more difficult. There are many distractions, yet amazing opportunities that can allow you to sink or swim your first year. As a rising sophomore, I’ve learned a lot about my school and myself. Here, I’ve composed the top pieces of advice that I think every freshman should take to heart because, trust me.

1. Be friendly!

The first couple days you live in your dorm; you start to develop your new friendships. It can be nerve-wracking, so do not just stay in the comfort zone of your roommate and even the people on floor! Leave your door open, so people can come in and introduce themselves. Even take a walk around your floor and the other floors to introduce yourself, as well. Some people room with their friends, or even get a random roommate and still just hang out with them only. Don’t be afraid to step outside your boundaries and make new friends! Remember, everyone is in the same boat as you!

2. WORK HARD, PLAY HARD

Yes, this is cliché, but it is true. GRADES COME FIRST! After finishing my first year, straight A’s do not come easy especially as a Pre-Med student, like me! Sorry, but, high school grades don’t count anymore. So to the person who keeps talking about how well they did in high school, I applaud you, but you are in college now. It’s a whole new chapter. Anyway, back to my point, you WILL get distracted whether it’s with clubs, the beach, or pool parties. Some days you will have to skip that pool party or a beach day to study for a major exam. You won’t regret it. But you will regret not doing well on a test because you didn’t study enough. If you don’t do well your first semester, you will say “I’ll do better next semester!” But, newsflash! This will never happen (believe me)! You will keep sinking if you cannot balance your time and put school first. But, once you put your grades first, then you can play hard!

3. Hit up Club Richter

Club Richter (AKA Richter Library) is the place to be during the week and weekends. You may spend long nights partying on the weekends at Club Richter with your friends Calculus and Biology. But, Club Richter is even more poppin’ during Finals. You will walk in at midnight and there won’t be a single chair available! Some tips for the library include using the second floor or "the Stacks". The second floor is the quiet level and always allows me to focus by limiting distractions. You can also access several floors from the second floor called the Stacks that have cubicles around the book inventory, allowing for peace and quiet. Lastly, bring a sweatshirt or sweatpants because they is a windchill in there of about 20 degrees.

4. Uber Everywhere

Uber to South Beach, Uber to Key Biscayne, Uber to the Grove, Uber everywhere (literally)! Uber is not expensive if your splitting a $25 Uber between four friends to beach! When you want to get to the grove on Thursdays, be safe and Uber! Some people are afraid of their safety, but you can check the license plate before you get into the car to make sure it matches the driver’s profile. Nonetheless, you can share your ride with your friends or parents, so they can see your trip. However, it doesn’t hurt to carry a little mace in your purse.

5. Rent your books

The bookstore and other places will sell books for the highest prices they sell for. This is why Amazon is your friend! I learned the hard way and bought/rented my books from the bookstore my first semester. Stupid Liv. The second semester I saved hundreds of dollars on books from renting on Amazon. Amazon rentals are almost half the price of rentals at the bookstore. And returning is easy! They give you a week or so after the semester ends to return your book with a prepaid shipping label! Be smart and start saving money here because trust me, you don’t NEED that book they tell you to buy.

6. Take advantage of your city

There are a million things to do besides going to frat parties. Take a trip to Wynwood to explore the artwork or cute hipster restaurants. Go to Key Biscayne and relax on the beach. Go to South Beach and walk around Ocean Drive with your friends to enjoy the different cultures, or go to Miracle Mile or to Merrick Park to shop and eat (by the way Merrick Park is for sure the prettiest mall I’ve ever seen!). Go to Coconut Grove on the week nights to the bars and also during the day just to walk around. The Grove is a great place to meet people from UM and make new friends. Go to the tailgates and frat parties, as well, because hey, we are known for our parties, right?

7. Know when to do your laundry

Everyone takes the L when you wait hours to find a washer on Sunday’s. The key to doing laundry is to (1) know how to do it (don’t be afraid to call Mom like me) and (2) know WHEN to do it. Don’t wait hours to find a washer available on Laundry View when you are looking at a bad time! Obviously people are going to do their wash on Sunday because they are not busy or are just studying! The key is to do it early in the morning like after your 8 or 9 AM or do it late at night. Study in your room while you do your laundry late at night or take a nap after your 8 AM while you wait. Be efficient!

8. CAUTION: Beware of the dining hall

The dining hall can be your biggest enemy or your best friend. Just be smart. Do not eat chicken tenders every day because (1) they aren’t good for you and (2) are they really chicken tenders?? The Deli is a great place to start because you can make healthy wraps and sandwiches, and you can even make quesadillas! A lot of people don’t even know that… Salads are always a great choice and don’t be shy… you can ask for grilled chicken to put on your salad from the grill. Be creative! That’s the key. My personal favorite: the omelet bar! Take your time to prepare what you are going to eat because trust me… it’ll catch up to you and be your enemy. Tip: Download the app Dine On Campus to know the specials for the day! The dining hall isn’t THAT bad. Just make the best of it.

9. The Freshman 15 is real

You are finally on your own and can eat whatever you want without your parents making you dinner or telling you what you should and should not eat. Like me, you may be a stress eater and eat whatever you see when you are studying in the library. Food may not be your friend, but the gym is! The gym is right across from the freshman dorms, so there is no excuse! Sometimes the gym is open late and is always open early, so try to find at least 30 minutes a day to stay active! Also, take advantage of the walks to class, because you are sitting in a chair most of the day. There is a smoothie bar, but be aware of the sugar you are about to intake after you just exercised! What gets me motivated to go to the gym is being able to relax in the sauna and hot tub after my workout!

10. BUDGET, BUDGET, BUDGET!

You can’t rely on your parents anymore (necessarily). You are an adult! You have to learn how to manage your money, and I know what I spent my money on…FOOD! You have to keep track of what you spend your money on and make sure you are on time with your credit card payments. Trust me, you truly know the value of money when you are spending your own versus your parents… just don’t learn the hard way.

Oh and don’t forget to call your family once in a while… Good luck little hurricanes!