My Top 10 Super Heroines Of All Time

My Top 10 Super Heroines Of All Time

Giving the powerful women of Marvel and DC their dues.

384
My Top 10 Super Heroines Of All Time
Tech Times

Alright, back to business as usual. No more political talk. We’re getting back to comic books.

I was honestly a little torn on whether or not to make this list. On one hand, it feels a little patronizing to make. It’s as if to say that the powerful women of Marvel and DC Comics need their own list to be qualified. However, my other lists leaned a little too heavy on the Y-chromosome. I mean, I’m not going to apologize for my favorite characters being who they are, and some of these characters I am about to list do often make my other lists on my own site as well as the personal ones I just make for me (yes, I’m one of those weird people who just enjoys making lists of my favorite characters, movies, video games, etc.). My #1 on this list is on my Top 10 Favorite Marvel Heroes List, for example.

That being said, my lists feel a little exclusionary, and I want to give the great super heroines of Marvel and DC their due, so I’m going to list my top 10 super heroines of all time.

10. Ms. Marvel

Kamala Khan hasn’t been in comics that long, but that hasn’t stopped her from becoming one of my favorite characters. She’s high-energy, optimistic and thoroughly endearing character to read about. An Inhuman with the ability to stretch, shrink and “embiggen,” she has already become both an Avenger and a Champion. She has taken the mantle of Carol Danvers and done a lot to honor the title. She’s charming, funny and just plain lovable, and she easily places at #10 of this list.

9. Batgirl (Barbara Gordon)

It was a little odd when DC brought formerly wheelchair-bound Barbara Gordon back to the role of Batgirl at the beginning of the New 52, but I am nonetheless glad to see her back in action. She is the hyper-intelligent and upbeat counterpart to the brooding Dark Knight, and, in my opinion, a far more interesting character than him. Even when she was paralyzed from the waist down and used the code name Oracle, she was still a vital part of the super hero community, working as a mission advisor for the Birds of Prey and other heroes around the world. She was also never as inept and never attracted to Batman like the cringe-worthy "Killing Joke" animated movie let on. She is a skilled and genius hero and my 9th favorite super heroine of all time.

8. Black Canary

A kickass fighter with a sonic scream, a tenacious attitude and a warrior’s spirit, Dinah Laurel Lance is one of my favorite Justice Leaguers of all time. She is just a plain badass, full stop. She is also one half of one of my favorite super hero romantic pairings, Green Arrow and Black Canary. She has shown skill in leading the Birds of Prey and keeping Green Arrow’s rampant ego in check. She has also had a lot of success striking out on her own, and she is easily one of the most skilled fighters of either comic book universe.

7. Green Lantern Jessica Cruz

Another hero who actually hasn’t been around that long whom I quickly fell in love with is the character of Jessica Cruz in Sam Humphries’ "Green Lanterns" comic book title. She’s quirky, awkward and so very lovable. She is also a rare character who suffers from clinical anxiety after witnessing the violent murder of her friends on a camping trip. As someone who suffers from his own anxiety issues and knows many other people with the same problem, it’s really cool seeing a hero whose weapon relies on sheer willpower with the same problem. She is also the first female Green Lantern from Earth, and that’s just plain cool.

6. Songbird

As I’ve said before, I love the Thunderbolts, and one of my all-time favorite Thunderbolts is Melissa Gold, AKA Songbird. She has a sonic scream and a harness that allows those screams to take the form of physical constructs and energy blasts, sort of like a Green Lantern Ring. She overcame her own confidence issues to become a leader in the Thunderbolts and even later joined Sunspot’s New Avengers team. She overcame a criminal past to become a determined hero, and she is just a plain badass too.

5. Stargirl

A charming and upbeat hero as well, Stargirl has been a member of both the Justice Society and the Justice League. With her Cosmic Staff, she has protected Earth from threats both terrestrial and alien. She is thoroughly endearing and innocent to a fault. Though she is still a teenager, she has shown a fighting spirit and dedication to doing what is right, something that elder heroes have either lost or never had to begin with.

4. The Huntress

The daughter of Batman or the daughter of a Mafioso depending on the iteration, Helena Wayne/Bertinelli is a skilled detective and crime fighter that puts the Bat himself to shame. She’s intelligent and a tactical genius and carries a freaking purple crossbow, which is just awesome. She has an issue with anger which she has struggled to overcome, but she still isn’t averse to putting an arrow in someone who deserves it.

3. Misty Knight

One half of the Daughters of the Dragon and a Hero for Hire, Mercedes Knight is a badass fighter with a freaking awesome robot arm. While other heroes go off into space and fight aliens or go over the ocean to fight Doctor Doom, Misty Knight keeps the streets of New York safe. She keeps in touch with the people. She has a drive which she has used to keep the likes of Luke Cage and Iron Fist in line in the past. With her partner in crime-fighting, Colleen Wing, Misty Knight keeps her home town safe while the other heroes are away.

2. Spider Woman (Jessica Drew)

The best character with “Spider” in the name (that’s right, I freaking said it, suck it Parker!), Jessica Drew is something of a reluctant hero. She is misanthropic and has often felt disconnected from the remainder of the super hero community. However, she has the power and the will to do what’s right, so she knows it would be a waste to not help others. The only camaraderie she has found has been with Luke Cage’s New Avengers and Carol Danvers, the latter of which she had a falling out with due to "Civil War II." She is also a working mother now too, and juggling raising a child with kicking the Hobgoblin’s ass is a very impressive feat.

1. Captain Marvel

One of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes, longtime Avenger Carol Danvers is my favorite super heroine of all-time and my 10th favorite Marvel hero overall. She is a determined and powerful hero who has kept the Earth from falling apart more times than anyone can count. She is maybe a little too cocky and headstrong at times, but she always has the best intentions at heart. With All-New, All-Different Marvel, she now leads Alpha Flight, the Ultimates and the A-Force. As a result, Carol Danvers is the top cop in Marvel, and I think that’s really freaking cool. I also love the new costume and that she has finally completely taken over the mantle of Captain Marvel. She’s strong, determined and a consummate hero, and she is my favorite super heroine of all time.