Top 10 Songs That Will Pump You Up

Top 10 Songs That Will Pump You Up

My personal selection of the best empowering and inspiring songs.

209
Top 10 Songs That Will Pump You Up
Ten$ion

As a person who experiences their emotions through music, I have a playlist for everything. This week, I thought I’d share the top songs from my “Get Pumped” playlist. This is the stuff I listen to for a confidence boost before taking midterms, skating competitions, or social interactions.

10. "Going the Distance" -- Cake

Even though this song alludes to neglecting one’s significant other in pursuit of a goal, it captures the feeling you have when you are single-mindedly focused on something. Plus, rock music with horns is the best.

9. "Until it Breaks" -- Linkin Park

This song is a little more musically subtle that the others on this list, with just straightforward lyrics and a simple beat that shows the determination bubbling underneath the surface.

8. "Call of the Mountains" -- Eluveitie

This Swiss folk metal song is appropriate for both a sweet fantasy sword fight and shralping the freshest of gnar. And that’s enough to make it awesome in my book.

7. "Back in Black" -- AC/DC

This is one of AC/DC’s most famous songs, and for good reason. The guitar riff alone has become a classic of classic rock, and the lyrics make it a perfect comeback song.

6. "Through the Fire and Flames" -- Dragonforce

Sure, you might just know this song from Guitar Hero, but listen to the lyrics and you will feel ready to fight an epic battle of good versus evil. Plus, if you don’t whip out your air guitar listening to this, you aren’t human.

5. "Cookie Thumper" -- Die Antwoord

It was hard to pick just one Die Antwoord song, since all of their music is high-octane rap rave. Something about the cadence of this song makes me think of an action hero running into the final battle, a gun in both hands, knowing he’s going to die, but trying to take as many of the enemy down with him as possible.

4. "Seek and Destroy" -- Metallica

There’s nothing like some good old fashioned thrash metal to get you in the mood for kicking ass and taking names.

3. "Walk" -- Foo Fighters

This is the most purely inspirational song on this list, with a message of coming back from a difficult experience and enjoying life to the fullest. I gave this track many listens as I was recovering from my broken ankle, literally “learning to walk again.” It’s a powerful and uplifting song by the best modern rock band.

2. "Lose Yourself" -- Eminem

This song tells Eminem’s personal story of failure and determination. I like to listen to it before I skate specifically to remember not to think and just get lost in the music and forget about the pressure.

1. "I Am the Best" -- 2NE1

If the title didn’t tell you enough, this song is just unashamed ego stroking, and that’s why it’s earned the number one spot for me. Paired with sassy vocals and a sweet dance beat, it’s impossible not to feel on top of the world while listening.