Top 10 Places to Visit in Milwaukee

Top 10 Places to Visit in Milwaukee

Guide to the some of the most significant landmarks of the Milwaukee area.

363
Top 10 Places to Visit in Milwaukee
Scripps

1. Summerfest

Summerfest has been “The World’s Largest Music Festival,” a title given by the Guinness World Records since 1999. With a carnival like-feel in combination with musical influences from around the world, Summer fest is a must-go in Milwaukee. There are performances from over 800 acts and over 1,000 performances from June to July located right next to Lake Michigan. Each year, Summerfest attracts between 800,000 and 900,000 people. While you are there, there are plenty of beaches, restaurants, and specialty shops for you to explore in the downtown area.

2. The Milwaukee Art Museum

The Milwaukee Art Museum building itself is a masterpiece. Especially prominent is the Burke Brise Soleil designed by Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava. This movable sunscreen’s 217 feet opens and closes twice a day. The Milwaukee Art Museum houses almost 25,000 works of art including Georgia O'Keeffe, Frank Lloyd Wright, Claude Monet, Andy Warhol, and Pablo Picasso. Art junkie or photographer, the Milwaukee the Art Museum won’t be a let down.

3. The Lake Michigan Pier

If you need to step away from the pandemonium of the big city, the tranquility of a Great Lake sunset on the pier of Lake Michigan will certainly put your mind at ease. Whether it’s flying a kite, kayaking, sailing, fishing, tandem biking, or just taking a leisurely stroll, Veterans Park has something for everyone. Even in Wisconsin, there is a place for a nice, warm swim. Bradford Beach hosts thousands of people per year, providing each and every person with beach volleyball, delicious ice cream, and good time! Classic lake side restaurants include the hip Colectivo Coffee and the high end Lake Park Bistro. Speaking of restaurants, make sure to get around to enjoying the benefits of being in the "Brew City" and check out The Milwaukee Ale House.

4. Discovery World

Integrating science, music, history, technology, and marine biology, Discovery World is a blast for everyone in the family! Discovery World is especially good for curious students. It teaches kids basic concepts then applies them into hands-on or interactive activities. You can learn the controls of an airplane, then actually fly one yourself! Discover how certain machines operate, then play tic-tac-toe with them! Discovery World provides the opportunity for families to learn and try things that they would have never experiences otherwise.

5. Mitchell Domes

Become immersed in the many ecosystems of the Mitchell Domes. Travel through the humid Amazon Rainforest, the arid Sahara Desert, and the seasonal exhibits, which display hundreds of indigenous plant species. Don’t poke the cacti too hard!

6. The Harley Davidson Museum

The local legend Harley Davidson Museum displays over a hundred years of the iconic American motorcycles in all its glory. The three building complex sports hundreds of thousands of original Harley-Davidson artifacts and over four hundred motorcycles. Go behind the scenes of the individual parts, or admire each model of the motorcycle as a whole. The Harley-Davidson museum is one that never ceases to amaze.

7. The Pabst Theater

Hosting music concerts, comedies, dances, and operas, the building itself is a German Renaissance revival masterpiece. Operating since 1895, it is one of the oldest continually running theaters in the US, thus having won the title of a National Historic Landmark of 1991.

8. Kinnickinnic Street

If you want to experience the cultural diversity of Milwaukee, Kinnickinnic Street is the place to go. Start your night off with a ethnically fused brat from the Vanguard, walk over to the Avalon theater to watch some of the most recent hits, then visit one of the many corner shops to buy a vintage record. Another important street is Bradley Street which runs through the heart of Milwaukee.

9. The Historic Third Ward

Warehouses transformed into art venues, the Third Ward is the creative hub of Milwaukee with multiple performing arts venues, art studios, and fashion boutiques. All of the diverse individual shops come together in the Milwaukee Public Market. Taste food from all around the world, including French food at Coquette Cafe, Mediterranean food from Tre Rivali, and Belgian food from Cafe Benelux. Experience one of the most visited areas of the "Cream City" within just a couple of blocks of walking!

10. The Basilica of St. Josaphat

The St. Josaphat Basilica is a Polish Cathedral style church modeled after the famous St. Peter’s Basilica. This national landmark was founded in 1888 by Milwaukee’s south side immigrant Poles. Marvel at the beauty of its architecture and interior murals while taking a tour or attending an awe inspiring service.