Top 10 Must Things To Do During Your Time At Lee University

A list of MUST things you'll want to do during your time in Cleveland

265
Kevin Morrison

We're getting close to the end of August, which means people are placing their last, finishing touches on their dorm rooms after moving in, attempting to get ready for the first day of class that is coming upon us, and enjoying the chance to see old faces and meet new ones. With settling into a "home away from home" comes the proverbial question, "What's there to do around here?" Whether you're an incoming new student (freshman or transfer) who is curious about all the new adventures that await you, or you're a senior graduating in December who's "been there and done that", here are some things you'll DEFINITELY want to check out during your duration spent in Cleveland:

10. Cleveland's Community Halloween Celebration

For one night at the end of October, downtown Cleveland shuts down and throws the biggest Halloween block party you might ever see. Booths and street vendors with all the goodies and food truck food you could ask for are set up all over the streets that make up downtown. Music by local bands can be heard playing all around the block. People from all over the community flood the city in their scariest, cutest, or most unique costumes they can come up with. To top it all off, Mars candy stands on the end of downtown giving away bags of FREE M&M's candy. Who doesn't want free chocolate? You definitely don't want to miss this.

9. Midnight Breakfast

A special event put on by the Residential Life and Housing department here at the university is midnight breakfast. On the week exams start, the night before reading day this crazy concoction of fun takes place in the Deacon Jones Dining Hall. Some things you can expect are food, friends, and karaoke-- that's right, karaoke. Because who doesn't like staying up past midnight eating breakfast, joking around, having fun, and singing at the top of your lungs?

8. Take a dive into the Ocoee

Cleveland lies on the edge of the Ocoee River, making the river a popular place for students to cool off in the latter part of summer, as well as early Spring. Many spots in the area provide fun opportunities to jump into the river off huge rock features such as cliffs. If you love to swim, you're almost guaranteed to enjoy this one.

7. Join an intramural team

Intramural sports at Lee University are HUGE. Whether it's a packed house in the recreational center to watch some volleyball, or hanging out with your friends outside Bowdle-O'Bannon to watch some softball, this activity is sure to provide some fun. What's even better is playing for one of those teams that the crowd is watching. Consider having some fun playing an intramural sport this year.

6. Epsilon Lambda Phi's "Lip Sync Battle"

Epsilon's "Lip Sync Battle" held in the Dixon Center is a great event to participate in or even just watch with your friends on campus. Throughout the night, student contestants (some faculty and staff like to show their stuff off, too), perform some of the most popular songs that have ever hit the charts. We're talking songs from "old Chris Brown," Josh Groban's hit "You Raise Me Up," and even those classic love songs from High School Musical, and more. Students then get to vote for their favorites by applause, putting the winner into the next round until eventually crowning a champion. It's sure to provide some great entertainment.

5. Visit one of the major cities in the vicinity

One of the best parts of Cleveland is it plays "epicenter" to three major cities: Chattanooga, Knoxville, and Nashville. Of course, Nashville presents many things for its tourists, the most familiar being its country music. At times, you can catch free concerts, and then, of course, there's the CMA Music Festival. You can also see the National Hockey League's Predators in action at Bridgestone Arena. Who doesn't like grown men fighting and a bunch of fans screaming over a horn? As far as Knoxville is concerned, the city provides a lot of unique sights. If you like SEC football, it's always fun to cheer on the Vols in Neyland. If you're the artsy type, Chattanooga is your place to go. If not, no worries! "Chatt" also provides its visitors many great dining, coffee, and dessert options. All of these cities are a great weekend getaway option.

4. Attend a Shenanigans show

Perhaps one of the most underrated things that take place on this campus are the shows put on by Shenanigans. Shenanigans, a drama group on campus that performs "improv" from suggestions given by the audience mainly made up of students, holds shows throughout various weekends of the school year. If you're looking for a great way to spend part of one of your weekend nights, definitely hit one of these shows up. Disclaimer: you will laugh until you cry.

3. Taco Tuesday at Tres Hermanos

.95 cent tacos and good times with your friends, need I say more?

2. Take a trip to Chilhowee Mountain

Take a trip down highway 64 to the popular student spot Chilhowee Mountain. If you're one of those people who like posting aesthetic pictures on Instagram, this place is for you. This attraction overlooks the whole Bradley County area AND some. The view is unbeatable. Whether you're there to do an overnight camping trip, taking some pictures, or to just hang your Eno up on a tree and swing for awhile, you can't beat this one of a kind place with everything it has to offer. You're sure to enjoy yourself when you visit Chilhowee, even if you are there to get a few likes on social media.

1. Dorm Wars

It's the event that's hyped up all year until it happens. When it's over, the hype for the next year begins. Dorm Wars is an event where all the resident dorms come together in Walker Arena to compete against each other in the toughest of tough events to earn bragging rights of "Best Dorm" until the next year. You'll see events such as your classic relay race, the Shopping Cart Race (above), another crazy obstacle race, AND more. If you're not a part of one of the races, you get the privilege of sitting in the stands with your fellow peers from your dorm cheering your dorm team on. It's loud, and it's hype. This will definitely be one of your most favorite events on campus.

Lee University and the city of Cleveland provide some great opportunities to enjoy your time while you're in college. Definitely, check these events out this coming school year.

Obviously, there are plenty more than ten things that students can get involved in. If you don't see one of your favorite's, or you think one thing is better than another comment and make it known!