Top 10 Movie Santas

Top 10 Movie Santas

Top 10 portrayals of Santa Claus in popular Christmas films.

213
Top 10 Movie Santas
Fan Art

Christmas is right around the corner. With the Christmas season comes holiday films featuring the big man himself, Santa Claus. Many holiday films feature famous actors taking on the role of Santa. There are also many films that feature characters who have characteristics that are often associated with Santa. In all of these movies, each portrayal has captured the compassion and sense of giving that is often associated with Santa Claus. Here’s a list of the 10 best movie Santas:

10. “Bad Santa” (2003)

Actor Billy Bob Thornton plays Willie, an alcoholic, burglarizing, department store Santa Claus who begins to change his ways after meeting a young boy. After the boy mistakes Willie for the real Santa Claus, Willie begins to change his life for the better.

9. “Miracle on 34th Street “(1947)

In the original version of the classic film, the role of Santa Claus is portrayed by actor Edmund Gwenn. Gwenn charmed audiences as a man named Kris Kringle, who is hired as a Santa at a New York Macy’s store. Kringle is given the task of helping a young girl get into the spirit of Christmas by making her believe in Santa Claus.

8. “Fred Claus” (2007)

In this holiday comedy, Paul Giamatti takes on the role of Santa Claus, or Nick, in the film about Santa’s down-on-his-luck brother, Fred. Fred (Vince Vaughn) and Nick have a playful, sibling rivalry where Nick is often seen as the family favorite.

7. “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” (1964)

In the classic Rankin/Bass animated TV special, Santa Claus’ voice is presented by actor Stan Francis. Even though the beginning of the film shows Santa telling Rudolph that he will never pull his sleigh, Santa eventually see’s Rudolph’s true value. At the end of the special, Santa is seen riding in his sleigh with Rudolph and Rudolph's bright red nose leading the way.

6. “Elf” (2003)

In the holiday comedy starring actor Will Ferrell, actor Ed Asner transforms himself in to the role of Santa. After accidentally crawling into his bag of presents, Asner’s Santa Claus shows his lovable elf, Buddy, the meaning of Christmas. During his time of need, this version of Santa goes to Buddy to help get the cynical people of New York City into the Christmas spirit.

5 "The Santa Clause" Trilogy (1994, 2002 and 2006)

After catching Santa Claus on his roof, single dad Scott Calvin, depicted by Tim Allen, is given the responsibility of taking over Santa’s responsibilities. While spending his time as Santa Claus, Calvin regains his holiday spirit and begins to focus more on the things that are truly important to him, like his young son Charlie. Allen reprised his role as Scott Calvin in two more films: “The Santa Clause 2,” which was released in 2002, and in the final film of the trilogy, “The Santa Claus 3: The Escape Clause.”

4. “Rise of the Guardians” (2012)

In the film that shows make-believe creatures like the Easter Bunny, the Sandman, Jack Frost, the Tooth Fairy, and Santa Claus working together, actor Alec Baldwin provides the voice of Santa Claus. “Rise of the Guardians” gives audiences a different look to the classic Santa Claus style they are used to. In this animated feature, Santa Claus, or North, trades the round belly and rosie cheeks for tattoos and a bulky frame. The character still has the jolly disposition and eyes full of wonder that are often associated with Santa Claus. This edition of the classic character also has a Russian accent.

3. “The Nightmare Before Christmas” (1993)

In the animated Tim Burton film, actor Chris Sarandon supplies the voice for Pumpkin King Jack Skellington from Halloween Town. After discovering a portal to Christmas Town, Skellington decides to take on the role of Santa Claus and celebrate the holiday on his own, which provides some comical and devious consequences.

2. “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” (1966)

In the animated TV special, actor Boris Karloff administers the voiceover for the famous green character. While living on a mountain near the town of Whoville, the Grinch decides to disguise himself as Santa Claus and steals the presents and decorations from the citizens. When the citizens of Whoville realize their possessions are gone, they gather in the center of town to sing Christmas carols, showing that the spirit of Christmas does not depend on material things. After seeing this display by the people of Whoville, the Grinch realizes the true meaning of Christmas and his heart grows three sizes that day.

1. “Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town” (1970)

In another classic TV special produced by Rankin/Bass, actor Mickey Rooney lends his voice to the role of Kris Kringle. This movie takes audiences through the life story of Santa Claus, from when he was a baby to when he first met his magic reindeer and even showed how he first met Mrs. Claus. As the voice of Kris Kringle, Mickey Rooney is able to capture his the joy and enthusiasm of Santa as a young man and the wisdom and kindness of Santa as he is older.