Top 10 Makeup Tips For The Oily-Faced Woman

How to keep your face oil-free throughout the day!

14
Personal Photo

For as long as I can remember, I have had oily skin. I haven't found a beauty guru out there that has oily skin as bad as me, and it's been a struggle figuring out different products and techniques to use. But, there are a few basics I've figured out that put a damper on the shine.

1. Wash your face every morning and night. For the longest time I made the mistake of using all those products labeled "oil-free" with salicylic acid that claim to make your skin acne free! I realize now that the best face washes for my skin are gentle and moisturizing. I use Cetaphil, a cheaper alternative comparable to Philosophy's Purity. It feels like washing your face with lotion, and you would think it would make your face oily, but in fact, it clears up the oils very well!

2. Shampoo your hair. When your hair is oily, it also makes your face oily. So, if you notice that your hair gets greasy throughout the day from a certain product, then you should probably toss it. Not just for your hair's sake, but also for your skin's.

3. Use a matte primer. I've found that using a primer helps with the coverage of pimples and smoothes away the effects of scars. But, don't just use any primer. Because if your skin is as bad as mine, that can make your foundation turn into a goopy mess. I use Hard Candy's Pore-Defense Primer Serum. It's super cheap, only $8.

4. Use an oil free foundation. I used Revlon's Colorstay Whipped Foundation for the longest time. Then I noticed my face started getting even more greasy than before. I knew I had to make a change. I switched to Tarte's Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Foundation--it stays on so well! Even working as a barista in 100 degree weather doesn't make this stuff smudge!

5. Use a finishing powder. I put my finishing powder on right after putting on my foundation to set it. It takes away any oils and keeps them away for hours. I use Airspun. I swear by this stuff. I used Bare Mineral's Mineral Veil before, but this one is by far better and cheaper! Only $9!

6. Put bronzer and blush on AFTER finishing powder. It makes sense to put your finishing powder on after everything else, but in actuality putting it on right before your bronzer and blush helps them go on way smoother and makes it easier to blend. No one likes to look cakey, and with oily skin, it is very easy to do so. Heed my advice: do it right after foundation.

7. Use a waterproof eyeliner and mascara. From pencils to gels, I have tried nearly all the different types of eyeliners imaginable and have finally decided that liquid pens are the best of both worlds. When working with oily skin though, you'll want to find one that won't smudge easily or run down your face after a long day in the sun. That applies to your mascara as well. I use Too Faced's Sketch Marker, which stays on for as long as you want and is perfect for sharp angled cat eyes. For mascara I use Too Faced's Better Than Sex.

8. Apply finishing spray. Applying finishing spray sets all of your makeup and keeps it in place all day. I used high end brands such as MAC's Prep + Prime Fix+ but felt like it made my face oily. I use is much cheaper and gets the job done. Hard Candy's Fast and Fabulous Makeup Setting Spray, which is cheaper and gets the job done!

9. Choose makeup remover wipes. These are quick and convenient at removing every trace of makeup on your face after a long day, and right after using them your face feels squeaky clean. But, after a few minutes, boom! Oily again. I've used Burt's Bees and Japonesque wipes but my favorite, luckily, are the Equate brand. Once again, they are the cheapest ones you can find and are really great at keeping the oils at bay.

10. Clean your makeup brushes. All throughout high school, I had no idea i was supposed to wash my makeup brushes. Eventually, I linked it back to why I had acne on my cheeks. You need to wash your brushes at least once a week to rid them of old makeup, dead skin cells and bacteria. Don't use just any cleaner you have sitting in your bathroom either. You'll want one that is going to be gentle on your skin. I use Eco Tools Makeup Brush Shampoo but have heard that baby shampoo does just as well.

While I'm not a paid spokesperson for any of the brands mentioned in the article, after so many years of struggle with oily skin myself, I felt it important to share some of the products that work for me. Give these tips a try, and reign in the shine!

Feel free to comment with any products or tips that have worked for you in the comments below.