The Top 10 Holiday Movies You Should Be Watching Over Break

“So, good news—I saw a dog today.”

24

Every time the holidays come around, I find myself getting extra excited (and sentimental) as I binge-watch movies that center around the season. There's just something about sappy love and the faith of a child that brings me back to my ability to still have both. I really enjoy the spirit that these movies get me in, and you're lying if you say that at least one of your heart strings hasn't been tugged by a classic Christmas movie. Here is a countdown of my favorite ones to you get you into the spirit:

10. Scrooged (1988)

Why you should watch: You see too many similarities between how you let life go by sometimes. Bill Murray's character helps you realize that you need to live, live now, and live miraculously well. Life is beautiful, and we need to treat it a little more like we acknowledge that.

9. Home Alone (1990)

Why you should watch: The child character of Kevin McCallister embodies the sass and struggles we have while growing up. I related to him then, and I relate to him now. With his family accidentally leaving him behind during the holidays, he develops an attitude that makes you laugh, with an ending that will make you smile. Family means a lot, and this movie helps you remember why.

8. A Christmas Story (1983)

Why you should watch: This movie perfectly depicts the childhood NEED for that one gift, an unorganized family (accurate of every family there is), and the stress of the holiday season. You'll be laughing, and you'll be relating. Definitely a must-see if you want to remember how childhood days were, and remember how much your parents really did care.

7. The Santa Clause (1994)

Why you should watch: Not only does this movie bring humor, but it brings insight to how magical Christmas is. We may forget the holidays and how they make us feel as we grow, but this movie shows that we can always get back to them, especially with the help of those we love.

6. The Polar Express (2004)

Why you should watch: This movie is magical. It reminds us to believe, and not just in Christmas, but in the power we have to dream and to live brightly. It tugs at your heartstrings, and it will definitely remind you why Santa is real, or, at least, why his presence is so special.

5. Love Actually (2003)

Why you should watch: First off, this cast is stellar. This movie is about family, romance, happiness, and the truths in life and relationships. It is such an awesome intertwining of lives to watch, with a song at the beginning that will stay stuck in your head forever. It makes you realize that: Christmas, really is, all around.

4. Elf (2003)

Why you should watch: I think everyone has already seen this movie, and if you haven't, you've definitely heard about 90% of the quotes from it. This movie is hilarious, and Will Ferrell does plays the best elf I've ever seen. It brings happiness and realization as to how much family matters, no matter who you are or where you come from.

3. The Grinch Who Stole Christmas (2000)

Why you should watch: Dr. Suess' classic gets turned into a movie that shows the true meaning of Christmas spirit. This movie is a classic, and it helps you remember that not everything is about what we want or have, but about how we look at what we know and who we are. Can't miss the heart-warming ending, and the laughs in between.

2. Miracle on 34th Street (1947)

Why you should watch: This Christmas classic shows that you don't need to see to believe, and sometimes that doesn't even work when you do see! You need to watch because it shows the meaning of trust and love, and how far spirit gets you not just in this season, but every one in life.

1. It's A Wonderful Life (1946)

Why you should watch: This movie is my absolute favorite, and I suppose it is because I've watched it every single holiday season since I was little. It shows the power of love, and the essence of caring for someone and them realizing how much you do. Not only is it a timeless movie that shows the character of George Bailey (and everyone who watches it) how much life matters, but it shows how much people really do care.

Thanks for reading my countdown! I hope you watch some of these, and mostly, I hope you have a wonderful holiday season.