The Top Ten Bad Habits

The Top Ten Bad Habits

And how to get rid of them.

800
The Top Ten Bad Habits
You Can Be Better

Ever have that one habit that you know you should stop? Well, here's a list of the top ten bad habits to have and some advice on how to crack down on them.

10. Smoking

While this is an awfully bad habit, it's number ten on the list because it is talked about often. If you smoke, I advise that you quit ASAP. In order to do so, get some nicotine patches and gum. Lots of gum. If you constantly have something in your mouth, you are less likely to have the urge to smoke.

9. Jumping to Conclusions

Just don't do it. Ever. Wait for all of the facts and information to come in before you go to have a civilized and non-emotion driven conversation.

8. Not Moisturizing

Moisturize! Moisturize! Moisturize! By not doing so daily, you are causing your skin to crinkle more which leaves room for more bacteria to seep into your skin. So to avoid having that happen, keep a small bottle of moisturizer in your bag and have a bigger one next to the other toiletries that you use in your everyday routine.

7. Overusing Your Credit Card

It is so easy to swipe that nice piece of plastic and not really think about how much money you'll owe at the end of the month. It's also easy to forget that with a credit card, you actually have to pay it back and do so in a timely manner. There're a few nice tricks I like to use in order to avoid overspending and late payments. I have a buffer of $100 for all of my accounts which allow me to make sure that I don't go crazy and spend all of my money. It's also good to consistently check your balance so you can see just how much is left. Lastly, set a reminder in your calendar for the day before the billing period ends so you don't get charged interest!

6. Eating When You're Bored

I know that this can be very hard not to do, but it just isn't healthy. Eating when you aren't even hungry can cause problems with your stomach and eating habits. If you find yourself wanting to snack on something, go through the checklist. When was the last time I ate? Am I truly hungry? Am I eating out of boredom? Can I wait until my next big meal? If you do all that and still have the urge to grab some M&M's because you want to be eating, then opt for a small, healthier treat like string cheese. Eating something that takes awhile to eat and doing so in small increments will help a lot with this bad habit.

5. Biting Your Nails

I have to confess that this is my worst bad habit. I have been chewing my nails off since I was a kid. However, it is extremely bad for both the nails and your health. Biting your nails can cause them to grow back a little funky and increases the risk of hangnails and such. Also, do you know exactly how much germs you are putting into your mouth every time? Me either, but it's quite a lot, that's for sure. So, slap on a nice coat of nail polish so that you can't bite your nails off otherwise the masterpiece will be ruined. Another thing to do is to constantly have something else to chew on whether it be gum or an edible pencil eraser.

4. Staring At a Screen For Too Long

A lot of people do this every day and eventually it is going to start to have major side effects. It can cause CVS, computer vision syndrome, which causes blurry vision, dry eyes and headaches. To help nip this bad habit in the bud, I like to refer to the 20-20-20 rule. This involves taking a 20-second break after 20 minutes of looking at the screen and having 20 feet be in between your eyes and the computer. Trust me, it helps. Go on, try it out now.

3. Skipping Breakfast

I know what you're thinking right now, "I know, I know, it's the most important meal of the day," in a sarcastic tone of course. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but it really is. Trust me, I was right there with you thinking that it didn't really matter. However, as my days have gotten longer and my nights have gotten shorter, I've come to realize just how important breakfast is. So, in order to make sure you eat something in the morning, there're a few things you could do. One, you could pack a to-go breakfast in your bag the night before. Two, you could have a sticky note next to the door asking if you remembered to eat something. Three, make it a part of you routine to go to breakfast with a friend.

2. Not Eating Three Meals a Day

This goes along with number three but is much worse. When you don't eat enough throughout the day, your body begins to go into sleep mode and won't function properly and to the best of its ability. Therefore, to be at 100% instead of 80%, make sure you have a few snacks in your bag in case you don't have time to run to the cafe. Another great way to help with this bad habit is to set a little reminder for yourself on your phone. Your tummy and body will thank you later.

1. Procrastinating

This is by far the worst bad habit to have, and I think it is safe to say that most of us do this on a daily basis. Fear not, though, for I have some tips that have actually helped me out a lot. You can ask anyone that knows me, and they will tell you that I love to procrastinate. It's practically my middle name. I'll get to the tips in a minute, but first, isn't it so nice outside? Okay, okay, I'll tell you the tips. First, get a planner. Second, actually use the planner. Don't toss it to the side and let dust bunnies make more use of it than you. Another great tip is to make that assignment or task due a couple of days before it actually is. This allows you to get ahead of your work, which is especially nice when the weekend comes and you can relax because you have all of your work done.