Now That 2019 Is Here, Let's Reflect On The Top 10 Albums Of 2018
Music

Now That 2019 Is Here, Let's Reflect On The Top 10 Albums Of  2018

Based on my music taste, so, it's law obviously.

57

As I've done for the past two years, I made a list of the great albums that have come out during the previous calendar year. 2018 did NOT disappoint in any way!

"My Mind Makes Noises" by Pale Waves

2018 was really THE year for Pale Waves. They had some really great singles, they released an EP, they released an album, they performed at numerous festivals and they had their own headline tour.

When I tell you I'm amazed by how far they've come, I'm AMAZED! With their goth aesthetic and their 80s synth-pop sound, they're really blending old and new very effectively.

My absolute favorite song off of this album was "Black." I swear it's so catchy it'll get stuck in your head for days.

"A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships" by The 1975

Source

OK, yes, I'm biased because they're my favorite band in the entire world. But also this album was so beautiful!

It was not at all what I expected, but it was an amazing album with gorgeous ballads and slow jams. The singles certainly led me astray with their upbeat tempo. I also have to applaud George Daniel's production skills because he makes my favorite band sound amazing.

My favorite song from this album is "I Couldn't Be More In Love." I'm not in love but you can dedicate it to your boo and thank me later.

"KOD" by J. Cole

Source

Full offense but J. Cole released the best rap album of 2018 and I really think every other male rapper should just stop making music. I've always admired how J. Cole has the ability to talk about real life but on top of a sick beat. He talks about where he grew up, his family, his life- all of it instead of just cars, clothes and random women. "KOD" was solid and the fact that it wasn't nominated for a Grammy is bogus and the Grammys are fake.

The best song on "KOD" is "BRACKETS." Fight me.

"Youngblood" by 5 Seconds of Summer

Source

It only took 5SOS, my other favorite band, 79 years to release an album but it finally came to me in 2018. They even released "Youngblood." It was absolutely an amazing album.

Much more on the pop side than I expected but the songs were so catchy. I loved seeing the album come alive when I saw them in concert in September.

The best song off of this album was "Moving Along." If you want to see me scream, play that song.

"Invasion of Privacy" by Cardi B

Besides all the drama Cardi got into in 2018, musically she really had a breakout year. Not that I'm a huge fan of rap music but Cardi really made an amazing album, especially to say it was her first full-length album.

She makes some hilarious references and honestly, her lyrics are GENUIS. I know alot of people don't like her but I think she has a made a path for herself in the music world. She even earned a much deserved Album of the Year nomination.

Obviously, the best song on this album os "I Do" featuring another queen named SZA.

"Dirty Computer" by Janelle Monae

Source

Janelle didn't have to go so hard on every song but she did! She made so many statements about black life, black womanhood and queerness throughout the album, all of which are important and impactful. Janelle even earned an Album of the Year nomination.

She also put together a visual album of sorts with beautiful imagery and colors, telling an amazing story to go along with her amazing music. I've always thought she was gorgeous and great, but she really outdid herself with " Dirty Computer."

The best song on this album is "Django Jane," because wow she did that.

"Hard To Imagine The Neighbourhood Ever Changing" by The Neighbourhood

Source

So, bascially all of my favorite bands released albums this year. I saw them in concert. This album was actually a really nice progression and I hate how many people were tainting my opinion of this album. But there were some really good quality tunes on The Neighbourhood's third album.

The best song on this album is "Void" because the lyrics really cut deep.

"Let's Go Sunshine" by The Kooks

After 7 trillion years, The Kooks came back with a new album. And if you're any sort of alt music fan it was like reliving middle/high school for you.

Rocking out to new music from The Kooks (finally) was excellent! It's the guitar riffs and smart lyrics that you're used to and being brought back in was like falling in love all over again.

The best song on this album is "Fractured and Dazed." LIKE WOW.

"Icarus Falls" by ZAYN

Source

OK, yes, he betrayed half the world, myself included, but I can't even lie, he makes some GREAT solo music. Like the perfect blend of pop and r&b. His voice has amazing range and beauty, as we all know. Honestly, Zayn could sing the phone book and I'd still love it.

The best song on this album is "Fingers."

"21st Century Liability" by YUNGBLUD

My son came into his own this year: performing at festivals, hanging with big stars like Halsey, opening for K. Flay and doing a headline tour. I'm really proud of how far he's come in 2018.

He's always talking about the importance of mental health and his own personal struggles with it. He also has such amazing energy on stage and just in general. Not bragging or anything but I met him, so I'd know.

The best song on his debut album is "I Love You, Will You Marry Me," but honestly, "California" is a close second.