Today's Artists: Andy (@Quitecurly)

Today's Artists: Andy (@Quitecurly)

The best artists on social media right now.

143
Today's Artists: Andy (@Quitecurly)
Instagram | @quitecurly

In my new segment, Today's Artists, I will be interviewing some of my favorite and most talented artists from various social media platforms. These artists poignantly craft work that deeply taps into and reflects today's politics, pop-culture, and everyday life.

Andy is most famous for her Instagram page, @quitecurly, through which she displays her ever progressing talent for drawing portraits. After years of intense love and dedication for her craft, she has cultivated over 20 thousand followers online.

In a brief interview with the artist, she mentions her passion for art and what has led her to her success.

1. Describe yourself, your identity, and if these things have impacted your artistic journey so far

"I would consider myself a highly meticulous person. Ever since I can remember, small details and tiny insignificant adjustments were critical: nothing is ever left unchecked. Thus, I assume, results in my zeal for art. I rarely, if ever, refuse to re-do a piece after it has failed; I wrinkle it up and start again. Some may call it 'starting-over-syndrome' but for me, it's a desire to juice my potential to the max, not letting a slip-up ruin what could have become a great piece of art.

I've entered numerous art contests throughout my career and, as much as it pains me to admit, I have lost many of them - so many that I have lost count. But the ones I've won, the ones I have poured my ambition into, have given me unimaginable amounts of reassurance to fortify my artistic pursuits and improve as a creator."

2. What inspires you when you're creating artwork?

"To be honest, whenever I come across this question I never know how to answer it. In the most natural manner, I feel pulled towards drawings so much simply for its process: finding a reference picture I fall in love with or an idea in my head I cannot overcome and need to will into existence until, eventually, life emerges.

I'm evidently inclined to draw faces. Portraits, for some reason, have always interested me more than, say, still-life pieces of inanimate objects. There is something about being able to capture someone's emotions or aura through the strokes of a pencil that never fails to motivate me.

Yes, faces are challenging to draw correctly sometimes, but perhaps this challenge to get it right and end up with a successful visual of an existing person makes me excited to pursue this interest. I am ultimately motivated by my own ambition and secondarily through other art like music or Broadway shows. Mainly, I look into myself for guidance."