Wishing Mother's Day To The Woman Who Made Me Who I Am

You deserve all the presents in the world, but I'm a broke college student, so I hope this will suffice!

8173
Taylor Rose

Mom, where do I even begin? From day one (not that I remember the day I was born, but I’m just assuming), you’ve been one of the most supportive, understanding and encouraging people in my life.

No matter what, you’ve encouraged me to always be exactly who I am. You push me to break boundaries and be my own person. My entire life people have told me I look exactly like you, which was never something I had a problem with, but you’ve always looked at me and said, “You don’t look like me, you look like you”. You created a space and a life for me that fosters individuality and have always made sure I know that I can be anything I want to be.

You and I share more than looks, you passed down your love of reading, your sense of humor, and your exceedingly sarcastic nature. We pass hours together laughing about anything and everything, bickering back and forth because neither of us will give up having the last word, and you never fail to make me smile, or at least roll my eyes.

All my life I’ve had relatively strong opinions. I fight for what I believe in, and I’m known to be quite stubborn. But despite this stubbornness, you’ve fueled the fire and the fight in me for as long as I’ve been able to form my own opinions. You encourage me to speak my mind, you listened as I rant about things I’m passionate about, and you’ve played devil’s advocate and debated with me more times that I can count. When we share opinions back and forth, our conversations have never drifted passed the line from disagreeing to disrespecting, because I know you truly value what I have to say.

I can’t imagine who I would be if I wouldn’t have had your guidance all these years. I am built on the foundation of everything you’ve taught me and continue to teach me, and the person I am today was formed around the way you and dad raised me.

While you’ve never been fond of my indecisiveness, you always make sure that I know that no matter what, I will succeed in whatever I choose. One of the things I’ve benefited most from, even though I hardly admit it, is your “Teach a man to fish” philosophy. Instead of doing everything for me, you help me so that I’m able to do it on my own, and for that I’m grateful.

There has never been any shortage of love in my life. You have given me the most unconditional love my entire life, and beyond that you’ve taught me what love looks like, what it’s not, and the value of telling people how much they mean to you. Thank you for the immeasurable abundance of love I’ve felt my entire life.

You’ve always told me that you’re proud of who I am and who I’ve grown to be, and in truth that pride belongs to you because you’ve helped shaped me to be a young woman you’re proud of. I’ll always strive to make you proud.

Happy Mother’s Day!