To Those Who Made My Freshman Year

To Those Who Made My Freshman Year

I can't thank you all enough, but this is a start.

14
To Those Who Made My Freshman Year
YouTube

Coming into my first year of college, I was more than ready for the new adventure. I was excited, I was nervous, and I had been waiting for and working towards this my whole life. As much as I tried to prepare, I still wasn't quite sure what to expect. I don't think any of us are. But looking back now I honestly couldn't have asked for a better group of people to be surrounded with this past year, and I just wanted give you all the thanks you deserve because without all of you it would have been nothing.

To all my new friends:

You all have seriously made this year unforgettable. I can't thank you enough for your friendship and support when I needed it most. Moving away from home for the first time was a tough transition for all of us. There were times when I thought I had made a mistake moving a few hours away and that I couldn't do it, because I've always been so close to my family. But all of you wonderful humans are the reason I knew those were just moments of weakness and that it would get better. And it did. I'm so thankful I had you guys by my side to make tons of memories with, and I can't wait to make even more memories next year. So even if we didn't talk or see each other every day, thank you to all my new friends, I'm not sure I could have done this year without you. Thank you for being my family away from my family, at my new home away from home.

To my friends from home:

Thank you so much for sticking by my side all year. College changes people. It's just a fact of life. It's a time of growth and completely new experiences, and when we're not at the same school or in the same town anymore it can be hard to maintain old friendships. For this reason, I feel extremely lucky that I was able to keep up with the majority of you. I lived for the reunions we had on breaks and the much needed FaceTime sessions every once in a while when I got to finally catch up with all of your new adventures and crazy stories. And even when we couldn't be together, the letters and daily Snapchat conversations kept me going. This last year has taught me who my true friends are, and I'm forever thankful for all of you.

Also, a special shoutout to my person and best friend. You know who you are. I seriously couldn't have made it through this year without you. Thanks for listening to me complain endlessly, giving me advice when I needed it, and even coming home some weekends just to see me. I don't deserve you, you're the best.

To my professors:

I've always liked school. I guess I'm a nerd like that. But that doesn't mean that I've always enjoyed every class. I truly think that in order to really enjoy a class, it has to be taught by a good teacher, someone who both is passionate about what they're teaching and also cares about their students. This year I was lucky enough to have some pretty great professors. I could tell that you were passionate about what you taught, and beyond that, took an interest in truly getting to know my classmates and I. So thank you for helping me though the transition from high school to college academics (which isn't an easy one), pushing me to do my best, helping me find my passions and my place, and always being wiling to help me no matter how many times or what I came to your office hours for. I grew a lot as a student this year, and that is mostly thanks to you.

To my first roommate:

Last summer I spent way more time than I should have worrying about who I would get matched with as a roommate. In August when we finally got the rooming assignments in the mail and started talking to each other, I was so relieved. I honestly could not have asked for a better first roommate. We may have extremely different interests and ambitions, but you amaze me and we still get along really well. I'm so glad we've become good friends this year. You are so talented and you amaze me. Thanks for putting up with me all year, and for the random late night conversations about anything and everything (because that's almost the only time we were both in the room at the same time). Can't wait to make next year even better and have you as a roommate again.

To my family:

You guys are probably the people I should be thanking the most. The first few weeks and even months away from home and all of you were so hard. Then it got easier. I got used to living away from home and my family. But that doesn't mean that I missed you any less. To my parents, brothers, grandparents, and everyone else, thank you so much for the endless support and encouragement you gave me from miles and miles away. You have no idea how much that all meant to me. Thank you for putting up with my random phone calls, complaints, questions, and random weekend visits home when I was homesick and just needed a break. I'm so lucky to have you in my life as my biggest supporters and fans, and I honestly couldn't have made it through this year if it wasn't for each of you. Thanks a million.

And to everyone else who I may not have mentioned here specifically, thank you. To my RA, the classmates I didn't get to know as well as others, my neighbors and housemates, mentors I met along the way, and all the friendly faces at my home away from home, thank you. I can't believe this year is already over, but I'm so excited to see what these next three years have in store. I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable summer! ❤️