To The Girl Who Feels My Full College Scholarship Is “Unfair,” Save It

Ever heard of coupons? Same damn thing.

160
College Students

Brianna Lyman... Do you want me to give you a pat on the back and a lollipop for doing what you do? Do you want me to physically give you my condolences for working AND going to school? For being in debt but priding it on yourself because you are doing it without the extra help of 'free college.'

Because I won't.

I am not going to give you the attention and sympathy for your "poor me" attitude. Many others, my own mother included, worked their asses off during college. My mother had her tuition paid in full by our tribe's scholarship program but still, she struggled. She had six kids under her belt, under one roof by herself and still, she succeeded. And know that I am damn proud of her for that.

You want to know what she didn't do while working nights whenever she wasn't at the library studying or at Wal-Mart working for minimum wage? When she wasn't watching and trying to feed her children, making sure they had everything they needed for their schooling.

She wasn't complaining, that's for sure. She wasn't crying out to everyone with an ear about how bad our situation was becoming. How we were eventually evicted because she couldn't afford the house we were living in and how we had to stay with our grandparents in another state away from her because she was only two months away from graduating and she needed that degree. She taught me and still preaches to me that the world isn't fair.

It's that simple.

I am on the lower end of the spectrum of the lower class. I worked hard as hell in high school to get the full scholarship that I have now. I may not have a job while in school because really, right now, my job is school. I can't explain how stressful last semester was for me, how I cried because I was terrified of losing my scholarship and sometimes I didn't have money to eat and had to borrow money from my roommate. Yes, I am a proud person as well, I hate asking for help but if I need it - if I am in the situation where I need to eat, I ask for help. And there is nothing wrong with that.

So no, I will not get a job to stress myself further, and yes if I am in debt that is my problem - not my parents to pay off and I think that is pretty responsible in itself. I do wish college was free or at least more affordable but that doesn't mean I want to belittle others who receive it. I won't imply they aren't working as hard as those who work extra jobs and get their parents to pay for them.

I may not understand enough of economics to scream out, "I want free college today!" But I know enough to where free college is a little too far out of our reach. Taxes get higher, I get that. But what it was at least more affordable? Would you still feel as you do now?

I mean, excuse me if I can't afford a simple $10,000 tuition bill in my account in order to register for the next semester. Or if a $145 parking fee is too much for me. Is helping out those who need it that bad? Are they not rich enough to get that help?

I am not going to post the rest of my sob story as we all have one but I will post my opinion.

No, I will not congratulate you on your extra job while in school just because you think college shouldn't be free to those who don't want to accept loans or who aren't as responsible as you or how you make yourself out to be. I am human just like you, just like those kids getting free college. Just because I don't pay as much as someone else, doesn't mean my educational value is any less.

Ever heard of coupons? Same damn thing.

To those kids getting free college - do your thing, get that degree. I am cheering you on.