To The Worn Out College Students
popular

To The Worn Out College Students

Sleep doesn't help when it is your soul that's tired.

14817
To The Worn Out College Students
Jillian Whirley

I had pressed snooze three times too many when I jumped out of bed and frantically threw my hair into a ponytail.

I hadn't slept through the night in days. I had two tests, three papers and an online homework assignment due by the end of the week. I was so late that I didn't even have time for coffee. It's bound to be a bad day when you don't have time for coffee. I finally got to campus only to discover that there were no parking spots remotely close to my class.

At this point, there was no denying that I would be awkwardly walking in late to a class of 200 people.

The sun was shining and it was over 50 degrees for the first time in months. I realized that I could go late to class and continue to let my day be terrible, or I could leave campus, skip my classes and take the day's fate into my own hands. I turned my car around.

The day was mine. I had so many options of things to do. I could binge watch Netflix or take the world's longest bath. I could study for my tests, write one of my papers or do my online assignments. I could sleep all day because I was in dire need of a good nap, but I realized that none of these things could give me the kind of healing rest that my body needed.

I picked up my closest friends and drove an hour away to our favorite hiking spot. We hiked for a while, ate our lunch and just talked about our life. We hung my eno over a waterfall and laughed about everything. This was the kind of cleansing, stress-free rest that I needed. For the first time in a long time I wasn't worried about the tests or the homework.

I wasn't worried about money or finding a job. The biggest worry I had was how bad it would hurt if my eno fell from the tree. I hadn't realized that I had been so stressed until this day. Do you know how freeing it was to have a weight lifted off of my shoulders that I didn't even know I had? It was liberating.

My point is not to tell you to stop caring about your classes. It's not to tell you that it's OK to not have a job. I'm not telling you not to study for your test or to ignore your homework. What I am telling you is that it's OK to put yourself before these things. I eventually studied for the tests. I wrote the papers. I finished my homework. I made it. All of my problems became lesser when I let myself become more.

Take care of yourself. Sometimes you need more than an hour to get yourself together. Sometimes you need more than a nap to be OK. You are more important than the problems that you are faced with. Let your heart rest.