To The Woman With One And A Half Arms

To The Woman With One And A Half Arms

You are my role model.

31
To The Woman With One And A Half Arms
houstonbaptist.org

When I was 10 years old, I went to Camp Houston after my family joined a church in my hometown. I was terrified. I knew nothing about this Jesus and I knew nothing about being away from home. One of my counselors was different. Very different. Her name was Jenni, and she only had one arm, well, one and a half. I steered clear of her on the first day, because I was a little afraid, but I couldn’t help but be drawn to her. Even from across the camp, I knew she had a heart of gold and it had been made new by this Jesus I was learning about. By the end of camp, she had changed my life and took pride in a picture I drew her. It was a picture of she and I standing side-by-side, little arm included. This is a letter to that very unlikely friend.

Dear Jenni,

Right now, you’re across the cabin from me. It’s the same cabin you accepted my picture in 10 years ago. That day, you taught me something really important: God does not make mistakes. When I asked what happened to your arm, you told me, with a smile on your face, that God had made you that way. I did not have to ask if you wished He had made you differently or if you were angry at Him, because by the love in your heart, I could tell that you loved your arm and the God who made it. You knew that your half arm had a purpose and that it was not some crazy accident in your mother’s womb. It was simply God working.

You taught me that friends don’t have to look just like us. Because of you, I was able to befriend so many of the “different” kids, because I knew that God had a purpose for them, too. I knew that, no matter what someone looks like, they deserve love and respect. No matter how strange they may seem, they need a friend.

You did not know it then, but I would never forget you. Now, 10 years later, I am getting to work alongside you at the very same camp. I thought I would never get to see you again, so when I heard you name and saw your face, I was immediately at home. I was comfortable at camp, and I knew that God was going to do some crazy-cool things here. This summer, you have taught me that God can use me wherever I am. I don’t have to have a special title or get paid an ungodly amount; I just have to be ready and willing to serve. In all honesty, I had hoped to work somewhere besides my hometown over the summer, but God had another plan. And He has been using me right here.

Thank you for the encouragement and sharing the love of Christ with me. Because of you, I am forever changed.