To The Wearer Of The Blue Jacket

To The Wearer Of The Blue Jacket

An open letter to an FFA member.

17
To The Wearer Of The Blue Jacket
Kevin Lewis

Dear FFA Family,

National FFA Convention & Expo has just finished and everyone is getting home and comfortably settled to start a new week of school. Over the course of the last five days you have experienced so much excitement and made so many memories with friends that you will keep with you forever. Even now you are probably posting that really funny picture of you and your friend in your hotel room making faces while eating more than your fill of Dunkin' Donuts from the session at Bankers Life Fieldhouse this morning.

As you start settling down from all of the excitement of this wonderful experience there are some things that you should know.

National convention is one of the most beautiful things you will experience as an FFA member. The amount of electricity in the stadium from the sheer passion of so many members is a unique feeling. The walks through the city of Indianapolis is a bonding experience. So much so that everyone knows to start the typical FFA cheers and calls of "'eyyyyyyy," and when you see people wearing the blue jacket, it is more of a badge of familial pride than an article of clothing. The long car rides (or plane rides) give you an opportunity to become close to the other members of your chapter, even if you can't wait to get away from them when you arrive. The tradition of going to Steak 'n Shake as your dinner before you settle down in your hotel on the first night, daring each other to eat banana peppers and sipping on shakes is something that you will remember years down the road.

All of these experiences allow you to experience life with people who are just like you but unique and diverse at the same time. But after you leave convention I want you to do something. Hear me out. I know you are anxious to get back to your schoolwork and upcoming projects (or putting them off as I sometimes did). What I am asking is quite simple:

Don't let that excitement die with the end of convention!

Your passion and excitement is such a powerful force that will take you far in whatever you do. It is the very foundation of who you will aspire to become. Passion is one of the most important things you can have because it keeps you going when things get hard. It is a contagious thing, passion. You felt it all of convention and you will feel it at any conference you go to. Why? Because FFA members are a passionate family that wants you to succeed. So keep it alive. Your passion may just spark someone else's.

Carry all of the excitement and thrill of convention with you to all of your CDEs and practices. Early morning parli-pro practices suck. Not because it's parli-pro, but because it's morning. If you remember the excitement and electricity that you felt at convention, it works almost as well as coffee (all though coffee is still an essential part of your FFA diet). Public speaking events? No problem my friend. Just remember all of the fun you had at convention and convey this in your words. Even if you have a serious topic, your passion and the fun you had at convention can capture an audience and they will see that it is something you truly have made a part of your life.

There are so many other things that you can apply this to. Developing your SAE, giving presentations to potential members of the FFA family, deciding to run for an office, or chairing an event that your chapter holds. All of these things take passion, excitement and dedication to your personal growth and helping others. Use this and make it a part of who you are and it will take you so far in life. When you feel like you are starting to lose these things, remember convention, remember why you joined the family in the first place, and most of all, remember that there are over 600,000 other members ready to help each other (including you) be successful. There is nothing greater than feeling like you can achieve anything you set your mind to.

So I challenge you to grow this year as you participate in CDEs, spread your passion, and build relationships.

Sincerely,

--Everyone Who Desires You To Succeed