To The Unwavering Mentor

To The Unwavering Mentor

It's been a privilege.

10
To The Unwavering Mentor
Jimmy Nguyen

To the man who is responsible for where I am today,

First and foremost, thank you for everything you've done for me and the youth group. There is no way we could be doing what we do and be where we are without your role. You have pushed us towards the right direction in our day-to-day and spiritual lives.

You are the Peter of our Youth Group.

I am not talking about the Peter who denied Jesus three times or the one who fell into the water when he was called out by Jesus. I am talking about the literal translation of the name Peter, which means "stone" or "rock." As one member of the triumvirate of our leadership team, you are responsible for so much. You, Khoi, and Han have created such a strong foundation that allows us to flourish and fellowship together. The group you are responsible for forming has fabricated lifelong friendships and yet, it is still not good enough for you. You keep seeking for ways for our youth group to improve.

Not to mention the things you do for us individually. When I first joined this youth group in the summer of 2013 following a split from a church, I was apprehensive of the group. I vividly recall you welcoming me to the service and asking if I wanted to join the worship team. Me, a guy who you had known about before but just met in person and never talked to. You and the youth group saved me from a spiritually dry season in my life, a season where I was contemplating leaving God because I thought I was able to function without him. Now, I'm more than ready to give everything I have for this group of people.

I can say this with confidence; you have been the biggest influence and role model for me in these past few years. Nothing was ever explicitly exchanged between us, but I picked up and inherited a lot of ideals from you. Whether it's the way you dress or your confidence, you have a way of inspiring people. Not to mention your long term relationship; that is something most people dream of. The way people follow you is impressive. Although we may have some doubts (like moving that 14-person tent), you ultimately know what's good for us. Your wisdom and leadership is a blessing to me.

In case you aren't already smiling ear to ear or missing the youth group already, I know I am not the only one you have had an influence on. So, I asked a few members of our youth group to share how much you have affected their lives.

"Quincy helped me realize that being a medical doctor isn't about the prestige or the pay, but rather the fact that disease doesn't discriminate. The job of a medical doctor is to help your patients the best you can. Also, he is the perfect example of being not the brightest or wealthiest person, but he still persevered and achieved his goal God laid out for him."

"Quincy showed me the meaning of sexy." -Brian (Old friend for a long time)

"Quincy is the definition of selflessness. He loves without condition. He gives without reason. His generosity to his family is something to be learned by everybody. He will give you the shirt off his back, and I've literally seen him do this for his friend. Through his actions, Quincy has shown me what it means to be a leader. What has always attracted me to him is that he has so many people who look up to him as a role model and as a friend. I am always receiving comments from others that I got a good one. I take that as a compliment and I think that speaks volumes."

"Quincy always has my back. He always puts himself out there to encourage me to put God first in everything I do."

As much as we'd like to keep you around and be selfish, you can't ignore God's call for your life. Even Jesus had to leave the group he developed and loved dearly. However, he did not leave them empty handed. They were blessed with the Holy Spirit and able to carry out God's will. Of course you can't bless us with the Holy Spirit but you were able to encourage, teach, and build us up.

"In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now,being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." -- Phil 1:4-6.

Thank you.