To the Struggling Future Teacher

To the Struggling Future Teacher

A letter to those who will someday teach

11
To the Struggling Future Teacher

Dear Future Teacher,

Hey there. I know it's been a tough week. Your lesson plan got torn apart, your students asked questions you didn't have answers for, and you just realized there's a humongous coffee stain on your shirt. You were up all night with your laptop and a legal pad, making last minute modifications and finding additional activities just in case you get through the lesson quicker than you imagined. Maybe there's a student who's being particularly difficult, they keep disrupting class and you've been trying to keep your cool but today might be the day your smile breaks. Maybe it was a slow day today, and no one really felt like being there. We've all had that day. I'm here to tell you you'll get through.

This morning you woke up with a purpose. You rolled out of bed, probably earlier than you would've liked to, and grabbed your bag. You walked into your classroom and saw a sea of learners, and maybe they're excited to see you. You're excited to see them, at least hopefully you are. Not everyday in the classroom will be a great day, but the process is the most important part. Know that what you do is important, and that even when you're not feeling appreciated you are part of the most important human phenomena: learning.

It's a hard to become a teacher, but you're on your way. Someday the classes you're taking will all be worth it. Someday your classroom will be your own, and your lesson plans will be streamlined. You're getting there, be patient with yourself.