To The Stressed Out College Student, It's Worth It

Is college really worth it?

139

College can get hard...and at times one wonders, "Why am I dealing with all this stress?" while they are enduring another all nighter and eating the fifth bag of ramen noodles for that day.

Well, USA Today College actually states, "With the average student loan debt at $29,400, according to the Institute for College Access & Success, and unemployment of recent college graduates at 8.5% and underemployment at 16.8%, according to the Economic Policy Institute, it may be difficult for some to answer that college is worth it. " Jobs are fleeting for this generation, and even having a steady job when you graduate is very difficult to accomplish now. Getting a degree does not equate to a job first hand. Neither does not going to college, though. If that is the rate for people with degrees, imagine the struggle of one with nothing. Well, study shows:

• Bachelor’s degree or more: 3.8% unemployment
  • Two-year degree/some college: 8.1% unemployment
  • High school graduate: 12.2% unemployment

So, it is very hard for everyone today and if you are lucky enough to get to college, you have a very high shot of much more success than if you didn't.

But, wait, why are you stressed all the time and jumping from work, class and a crammed homework routine? Is this life? No, most people say college was, in fact, one of the most stressful times of their lives as well as one of the best. It's a strange mix of the best moments and the worst moments all jammed into four crazy years.

The only thing I find myself questioning is: what about the rare successful stories of college drop outs? The Steve Jobs of the world. And if you're sitting studying all day in preparation for living life, are you really living life? This isn't following the phrase everyone wishes to follow; "carpe diem" at all. In fact, I know several people that have dropped the normal routines of life and have just gone rogue. I watch them traveling and enjoying the moments every day while I'm stuck in the library. Everyone says, "You'll regret it one day!" Or, "You need college, trust me," but did they ever know what it felt like to not follow the norm and experience the world for your own creation? The only thing that really holds us back is money itself, and money can be attainable by any work. An easy waitressing job can get you enough money to buy a cheap plane ticket anywhere and experience life the way we all should. So why do we feel the need to stay in this bubble of routine, normalities and safety? Are we afraid? Statistics make us afraid, and everyone around us does as well.

But, let's look at it another way. If college ends up being another big step up in the world, why not make it beautiful? If one can achieve getting the highest education while still traveling, making connections and enjoying every day the way it should be enjoyed, then that would be the greatest choice of all. Yes, you may be busy, but that's the way it should be! Striving for the utmost potential you have in life is obtaining that college degree; it teaches you lessons like this that you would never learn on your own. THIS is the best option possible, and I applaud the people that can do this and I am on my way to. It may require more dirt and sweat but, in life, everything great is earned through hard work. Because, then again, what if you drop out of college to only realize: "I missed out on a huge blessing in disguise."

You have your whole life ahead to live, and only four lucky years of college left.