To The Stepfather That Welcomed Me

To The Stepfather That Welcomed Me

Without you, our family wouldn't feel complete.

599
To The Stepfather That Welcomed Me
The Hollywood Reporter

I don't even know where to begin with my appreciation for you. I cannot thank you enough for loving my mother and I as much as you do. You have made my life so much better than I thought it could be.

My father never treated my mother and I the way we deserved. I thought we would never find someone that would be willing to take on the fatherly role, but you did. You took on the role as a father and a husband so effortlessly, and you have become the perfect father. You cook dinner for us when you have a day off, you let me listen to my music when we're driving around, and you are there for both of us whenever we are having bad days. There are days when I prefer to talk to you and get comfort from you rather then my own mother.

You have completed our family. We always knew there was a piece missing, but we found you and like fate, you fit into our dysfunctional family flawlessly.

I always get a fatherly word of advice from you exactly when I need it. You mediate between Mom and I when we get into a fight. You hug me when I'm crying, you tell me how proud you are of me all the time. I've never felt so loved and happy.

I watch the way you look at my mother. You reassure her when she's feeling sad or insecure from our past heartbreaks. You give her patience and kindness which is something she needs, and it's something I need to see. You kiss her every time either of you walks through the door and you treat her like the queen that she is.I never have to worry if my mother is okay when I'm away at school because I know you take great care of her the same way you take such good care of me when I'm home on breaks.

I feel blessed to finally have a father figure that I can look up to. I never wonder if I'm good enough because you remind me all the time how proud you are. I found a father in you that I never had in my birth father. You have taken off-guard pictures of my mother when she's been smiling or sleeping. You took off-guard pictures of me when I went to my senior ball and our silly moments we have had on family road trips.

You listen like a father should. You listen like a husband should. You hang on to every word my mother and I say and I never have to wonder if you listened to what I was saying or if you care, because I know you do.

It's crazy to me how I can feel so comfortable and so myself with someone who is not my biological father, but I wouldn't trade you for anything and I know Mom wouldn't either. We appreciate your love and kindness more than we could ever verbalize. I know when I graduate from college, you will be there, cheering me on. I know when I get married, you will walk me down the aisle with tears in your eyes.

I feel so much support and love now. We found our missing puzzle piece!