To the Person Who Feels Insecure About Their Naturally Curly Hair

Let your curls run the world.

1415
pexels.com

There are billions of people in the world who have naturally curly hair. Which also means that there are billions of people in the world who buy a lot of hair products, billions of people combing through their snarls, and billions of people who complain how their hair is so hard to deal with.

Trust me, I know. Dealing with curly hair takes up so much time and effort and sometimes it's even a workout. There are times when I would go to the beauty salon and sit in a chair for HOURS just to get my hair straightened/pressed. I would get my hair pressed a lot because I love how my hair looks when it's straight. Not only that, but I didn't like how my naturally curly seemed to draw so much attention.

Back then, I remember a time when I was getting ready for school and my mom wanted to do something to my natural hair. She made my hair so big, that it looked like I had Mufasa's mane from The Lion King. She loved how it looked and I didn't care at the time. Once I got to school and sat down, I was getting some looks and people were snickering at me. I noticed how they were talking about my hair and I felt so out of place. On top of that, this happened to me when I was only in kindergarten.

Yes, we were all just little kids back then. However, you can't forget how certain moments make you feel. I wanted to share this story because this was the very first moment I can remember of feeling insecure about myself. It was all because of my natural curls.

I've always wanted my hair straightened because:

a.) It's easier to deal with.

b.) It doesn't attract so much attention.

c.) It looks nicer.

d.) It feels good to look like everybody else.

One day, I decided to put an end to having my hair straightened constantly. I decided not to feel insecure about my curly hair anymore and I wanted to express it more. Soon, I gave myself more confidence and it made me feel better as a person.

To the person who feels insecure about their naturally curly hair, God wanted you to have it and to accept it. It's important to show off what God gave you, whether you are born with curly hair, straight hair, wavy hair, or any kind of hair texture. People should not care about what others think, even though it's difficult not to. No matter how unique your hair is, don't be afraid to show it! Your hair is beautiful and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise!