To The Person That Hates Change

To The Person That Hates Change

I feel you.

341
To The Person That Hates Change
Ian Cleary

To the person that hates change,

I feel you. I just left a company I have been working with for over four and a half years and started at a new company just last week. This past week, I have been under a tremendous amount of stress not because my new job is hard, but because I absolutely hate change.

Change sucks. When I reach a point in my life where I am comfortable, consistent and happy, I like to stick with it. Right now, it seems as if my whole life is out of whack because of one change in my life. I feel disoriented and full of anxiety. I feel lost and confused. I'm ready to get back to being comfortable, consistent and happy.

Whether it be a new job, moving to a new place or something little like trying a new food other than your go-to order, it all sucks. As horrible as it is, change is something that is always going to occur in our lives. In order to prepare yourselves for the inevitable, here are just a few things I tell myself whenever I'm going through change.

1. You cannot grow if you're staying in the same place.

Whether you're in the same place physically or mentally, there's no room for you to grow. At my old job, I was 100% comfortable in everything. I did the same thing everyday and I was confident in what I was doing. However, there was no room for improvement and there was nothing pushing me. I couldn't move up anymore because I was already at the highest place I could get at. I came to a point where I felt stuck. As much as I loved it, I needed a change to something that drives me and gives me endless opportunities so I can continue to grow in my career and continue to grow as a person.

2. Being uncomfortable is a good thing.

In society, we are taught to hurry up our lives and get to a place where we settle down and have a secure job, a secure partner and a secure life. As great as it is to get to a point in our lives of comfortability, that thought is unrealistic and we end up trying to rush through times of discomfort. The truth is that life is full of discomfort and change, and it's a good thing. Being uncomfortable means you're growing. Being uncomfortable means that things are getting better. If you're uncomfortable, things will always stay the same and things will continue to be average and boring. Enjoy the highs and lows of life and as clique as it is, remember that it's not about the destination, it's about the journey.

3. It's OK if something doesn't go your way.

If you hate change, you most likely like to plan out what happens in your life. My company went through a bankruptcy and because of that, it limited my opportunities and it limited my growth. It was a setback in my life plan and I had to rethink everything I wanted to do in my life. The point is, if there's a road block in your path or if something comes out of no where and changes your direction, it's OK. Life is full of twists and turns and like I said before, it's inevitable. I'm a believer that everything happens for a reason and if, for some reason, something comes in your life or leaves your life that you didn't plan to, it's meant to be that way. Opportunities and obstacles are put into your life to create a better you.