To the Girl Who's "Figuring it Out"

To the Girl Who's "Figuring it Out"

It's okay to not know it all...

61
bing images

It's okay to not know it all.

It's hard, I get it. Sitting there watching everyone else 'get it' on their first shot. Knowing what they want to do and where and how they want to do it and leaving you in their dust.

Why can't you do it? Why can't you get it right?

Let's get something straight, there is no right way. There is no straight line to your future you and be thankful for that.

Those people who get a lucky shot right out of the ball park are missing out, not you. When you try something and it doesn't go 'right' we call it a failure. We think of ourselves as the failure who just couldn't do it. When you find yourself thinking like that, DON'T.

Those moments-- those moments where what you wanted, what you did, what you didn't do that went unexpected, that 'went wrong' are not failures. Those are experiences.

Those are the moments that test who you are, that challenge who you want to be and create who you'll become. Those experiences make the 'right' moments taste even sweeter. Those moments make the 'right' moments authentic because you know what didn't feel right. Those moments make for stories to cherish for years.

I know what it's like to feel like a mess while everyone's sparkling clean. Standing in a pile of your own mistakes and confused as to how to clean your act up can bring you to the verge of tears and a mental waving of the white flag and a store off episode. Especially when it feels like you're miles away from where you "should" be based off where everyone else is.

Take it one day at a time, where they are is not where you are. Where their path is, where it started, where it'll end, does not coincide with where you began and where you will end. Focus on you. Start small. You don't have to have the answers to everything in one day. Some answers will come on their own, some after some searching and some after and only after you've found answers to other things. The key here? You will get answers, in time you'll have them all maybe not tomorrow but eventually, and that's okay.

If you don't know what career you want to do with your life, that't okay.

If you don't know who you are, that's okay.

It's okay to not know.

It's okay to have all these unanswered questions and still go on with your life, day by day.

It's okay to say, "I'm (Insert name here) and I don't know anything and I'm certain one day I will and I'm okay with that, even if you aren't."

It's okay to be a working progress as long as your working.

I remember being brutally honest one day and saying to a group of people " I can tell you all, I know nothing about myself. Well, not necessarily I know slightly more about myself compared to the first day as a freshman. To mind you this is like knowing the alphabet of a new language to knowing how to say “hello, my name is__?” "

Go with the idea that learning who you are, that what you need to figure out is like learning a new language. It'll take time, bumpy roads and more mistakes than not but once you get it you'll be able to communicate just who you are with the world and all those who cross your path just exctly who you are.