To The Girl Who Isn't In A Sorority

To The Girl Who Isn't In A Sorority

A few things that hold true even if you decide on not going Greek on bid day.
169

Every freshman girl probably spends too much time than is necessary thinking about recruitment. Sorority life looks like so much fun. Date parties, swaps, lifelong friends, bigs/littles - the list goes on and on. But those girls who aren't in sororities still have fun. Sorority life isn't for everyone, and that is okay.

Let me start by saying that this is not an article bashing sororities. Some of my best friends are in sororities, and I would think they're awesome regardless of if they're in a sorority or not in one.

You will still make friends.

Obviously,I one of the main reasons girls want to join a sorority is to meet new people and make new friends. While I 100% believe that girls meet their absolute best friends in their sorority, I also believe that their are other ways to make friends. I met friends in my dorm, in my bible study, in my classes, and at the gym. The only way you won't make friends in college is if you literally don't go anywhere and don't say anything. So, don't be discouraged if you don't make friends in the first week of school, God will place people in your life when He sees fit.

You aren't the only one.

When trying to decide whether of not to drop out of recruitment, I kept thinking to myself, "All my friends are going to be in a sorority. I'm going to be the only one who isn't." I was wrong. It turns out that 80% of my campus isn't Greek either. College is a time to be selfish and do what you want to do. Sorority life seemed fun, but it just didn't seem like it was for me.

There are other ways go get involved.

Being in a sorority makes it really easy to get involved. But there are many other ways to get involved, too. Going to things like RUF, Welsley, or Baptist Student Union provide a great foundation for getting involved in even more things in college. Your schools website probably has a list of different organizations that are at your campus, as well.

You have plenty of free time.

Some people think this is an advantage, and some people don't. I know that it did not bother me one bit when my friends had to leave somewhere to go get ready for chapter. I have been participating in "no makeup Monday" for a while now, and I would hate to have to wear it for a sorority meeting. I don't have to worry about waking up early to participate in Watermelon Fest or Derby Days, but I can still go watch all my friends perform in the afternoon. I can do whatever I want, whenever I want to.

God still loves you.

I may be wrong, but I highly doubt the first thing God says to girls when they go into Heaven is "Hey, what sorority were you apart of?" God loves us all- regardless of our age, occupation, or extracurricular activities. He loved you before college, and he will love you long after your college years are over.

Sure, you might miss out on a few things if you aren't in a sorority. But not being in one does not define you or make you weird. Some of the most successful people in the world are not Greek affiliated. No matter what you decide to do with your college years, the most important thing is that you stay happy and have fun. Stay true to you and I promise you will end up undeniably happy.