To The Girl Who Does Not See Her Own Beauty

Everyone is different, and everyone may have a different beauty, but it is all beautiful.

265
Jenna Witte

You are all together beautiful, my darling, there is no flaw in you. Song of Solomon 4:7

I get it, this is not always the easiest thing to believe. We have all been there; looking in the mirror and just standing there pointing out everything you would change about your face, body, and hair. I have done it and you have too. I understand. We critique every inch of our bodies, just trying to make ourselves fit the stereotypical image of a girl society places on each of us. However, I can say without a doubt that you are beautiful, even if you do not see it.

This is a lesson that every girl needs to learn throughout her life. We may each learn it at different stages and on our own time, but I strongly hope that one day you will see that you are truly beautiful. I knew I needed to learn this lesson; however, I did not begin to see my true self-worth and beauty until I let others opinions go and began to show my idea of beauty; not society’s. I am still working very hard on seeing myself as beautiful. It may take a while, but I am in a better spot than where I was, and that means everything to me.

We were all created in God’s image, each a great masterpiece. An artist does not make the same piece over and over again. Each masterpiece is different. Can you compare a painting of the ocean to the painting of a fruit bowl? No, they both have different components, but both can be pleasing to the eye. Each piece has something different that makes it beautiful. They do not all share the same type of beauty, but each have a beauty about them. Well God is our artist, and he makes no flaw; he specially designed each of us and gave us each our own beauty.

Next time when you look in the mirror, instead of picking out all of your flaws, pick out one thing you find to be pretty; your best quality. For example, when I begin to pick at my body I look at my eyes. My eyes are my favorite feature. If I am being honest they are the only feature, I find to be “pretty enough.” However, when I recognize my beauty in one area I start to feel okay about everything else. You may like your nose or your hair. Everyone is going to find something different, but we each just have to find what gives us our beauty. Once you find it, never forget it. Remind yourself daily. When you start to question your beauty and all you do is point out your flaws, find one flaw and see the perfection in the masterpiece.

Reminding yourself daily is the most important step to take. I know it’s cheesy, but write quotes on sticky notes and place them around your mirror. Stand in front of the mirror repeating “you are beautiful” over and over again. I know it can be weird, but it honestly helps. You are your own kind of beautiful, and sometimes others cannot see that, trust me I know people can be rude. Therefore, you need to find your beauty, and once you do, I guarantee others will notice. You will hold yourself differently, and people will notice. Also, you will notice those who saw your beauty all along. I know that sounds silly, but so many people have come up to me and tell me they are glad I am finally beginning to see myself and not being someone I am not.

“If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at will change.” -Wayne Dyer

God made you to be you, not who the world wants you to be. You are more beautiful than you could ever image. Find just the smallest bit of beauty in yourself, and it will begin to grow; slowly, but surely. God sees your beauty and others do and will. I realize people will do anything to point out others flaws, but that is only because an untrained eye is not able to see the beauty in some art pieces. And too, they may not yet see themselves as a beautiful masterpiece.

Just stay true to you and find even a little beauty in yourself. You are beautiful you are fearfully and wonderfully made Psalm 139:14. We are each created in a different and unique way. You may never truly see you whole beauty, but God does and his opinion is greater than any others. Find your best “flaw” and flaunt it. And remember, chin up princess or the crown slips.