To The Friend Who Taught Me...

To The Friend Who Taught Me...

Because of you, I've learned so much.

1660
To The Friend Who Taught Me...
Emma Venetis

In truth, we are largely a product of the people that we surround ourselves with. Our values, beliefs, understanding of the world and self-concept are influenced by the people in our life. We all love our friends, but we don't often think about the things they've taught us and the ways they've helped us to grow. So, here are some quick notes to the friends in our lives, thanking them for the impact that they've had.

1. To the friend who taught me what it means to be loyal...

I have always admired your forever, no-matter-what loyalty to your friends and family. I appreciate your constant support more than you know and I try to emulate your devotion to those you care about in every relationship in my life. You have shown me what it truly means to be a friend. Thank you.

2. To the friend who taught me that it's okay to take time for myself...

You have been my biggest role model in self-care, and I thank you so much for that. You have taught me, by example, that taking me-time to recharge pays off - socially and emotionally. When I'm struggling between mental/emotional exhaustion and FOMO, I think of you and know that I need to put myself first. Thank you for showing me how to take care of me.

3. To the friend who taught me to embrace my feelings...

You are one of the few people that I know that let's yourself feel freely. I have seen you cry more than anyone I know: from sadness, yes, but also from passion, laughter and love. As someone who has a tendency to hold things in, you have taught me that our emotions are a crucial and beautiful piece of our humanity. Thank you.

4. To the friend who taught me to dance like nobody's watching...

I can't help but admire your confidence, energy and spirit...and dance moves. You exemplify how to love yourself and not care what anyone else thinks. Though I have a long way to go, I'm learning from you to let loose and feel the music. Thank you.

5. To the friend who taught me that sometimes you just need to have dumb fun...

Thank you for constantly reminding me that life doesn't need to be taken so seriously. Your ability to have fun in just about every moment has taught me that sometimes I need to stop thinking so much and just let myself enjoy little moments in life. Thank you for adding silliness to my life.

6. To the friend who taught me to live out my passions...

I have learned so much from watching you develop your passions and act on them. You have shown me how to live a life that is true to oneself and one's beliefs and I am so grateful to have you as a role model my life. Thank you.

7. To the friend who taught me to be adventurous...

Thank you for being up for anything, for proving that you don't need a plan to have a good time and for showing me that any situation can be turned into an adventure. My best memories with you are driving around without a destination in mind. Thank you for pushing me out of my comfort zone and reminding me to just live.

8. To the friend who taught me to stand my ground...

You have taught me how to be the best kind of stubborn: stubborn about my morals. Your strength and determination to be yourself in all situations is something I look up to. When it may not be my first instinct, thank you for reminding me to put myself first and hold my ground.

9. To the friend who taught me to show kindness in every moment...

The kindness you share with each person is visible in every interaction you have. When I am stressed or short-tempered, I think of your compassion and work to emulate your grace. Thank you for being an incredible role model.

10. To the friend who taught me to see everyone as a friend...

I am constantly impressed by your good will and welcoming attitude towards all people. No matter the circumstances, you treat every person you meet as a friend and leave them feeling cared for and included. Thank you for not only treating me so kindly, but for showing me how to care for each person's humanity.

11. To the friend who taught me to never change for anyone...

You live your life with a strong respect for yourself, and that's incredibly admirable. You have taught me that it's okay to say no and be disliked if joining in will lead me away from myself. From you, I've learned not to sacrifice my own happiness. Thank you.

12. To the friend who taught me to speak my mind...

You're not afraid to say what you believe, you will always stand up for yourself or others and you know how to tell people what they need to hear. I value your insight and tenacity, and I thank you for showing me how to speak up and speak out.

13. To the friend who taught me how to make people feel special...

You have an ability to make people feel cared for by remembering little details about them. When they talk to you, they know you're listening. It may be subtle, but the impact is massive. Thank you for making all of your friends feel special, and for teaching me the importance of truly listening.

14. To the friend who taught me that laughter really is the best medicine...

In some of my most stressed or tired moments, I've been able to laugh with you about something small and really put life into perspective. You've shown me that laughter with the people close to you is one of the most important things in life. Thank you for never stifling your laughter and for sharing it with others.