An Open Letter To My Former Best Friend

To The Best Friend I May Have Lost

Until then, goodbye old friend.

7
To The Best Friend I May Have Lost

I just want to let you know it's okay; I've moved on. I've made friends who are never cold to me. New friends who are always glad to see me, always glad to have me around. I just wish I knew why.

I remember the year before we drifted; it was on a school trip, and I hung out with you and our other friends. We had a lot of fun - our pictures on Instagram (yours were eventually deleted) proved that much. One of those pictures was my favorite for a long time - it was the wallpaper on my phone and laptop for a long time. This trip was proof that you were a good friend - at least I thought so.

I even thought we had gotten closer. Then senior year started.

All of a sudden, you just seemed so cold towards me. Yeah, we still hung out. I invited you and two other friends to my birthday celebration; you came and even got me the perfect gift - more good pictures from that night. You were always one of my first friends to wish me a happy birthday when I got to school.

It was easy for us to remember each other's birthdays because I was five days older than you (and because you came to just about every one of my birthday parties since the third grade). One year you even wished me a happy birthday on Instagram (which, it looks like, you also deleted).

But you still seemed cold around me.

It's not like you said anything hurtful, it's just that you weren't always real friendly. You once told me that when I needed someone to talk to, I could always go to you and you would be there for me. Then here you were acting like you didn't really want to visit with me. Then when I came home from college and texted you and my other friends to see if anyone wanted to hang out, you never responded.

I haven't seen you in over a year.

But I'd still like to know why. What did I do, if anything? (I was never a very confident person, so I would check with you on different things. Did I annoy you with that?) I'm sure I might see you again somewhere. I hope we'll be able to sort things out. Until then though, as I said, I have other friends who will keep me company. Friends who are always happy to have me around.