An Open Letter To the Freshmen of COVID-19

We all know this is going to be a rough year, but I hate that your college experience will start this way.

17
Nick Bolton

Dear 2020 Freshman,

The first year of anything can be challenging to students, even when there is not an ongoing global pandemic. Getting used to any new space can be stressful and confusing, and now there is another layer of confusion over what used to be guaranteed, such as in-person classes and sitting down at lunch.

As a student that just went through my freshman year, I want to tell you to hold on.

College is a much different experience than high school, and there is so much for you to explore. There are so many different types of adventures waiting, and just because school is online does not mean that these new experiences are unreachable. My suggestion is to participate in group chats, reach out to people for help or to make friends, and take everything you can get with stride. I know that reaching out is hard, but many people are also looking for people to connect with.

miro.medium.com

School will eventually go back to normal, and then you will be able to live the real college life.

It is a shame that you are starting off this way, and I am sure it is discouraging. If you have moved online as well, I bet you are very disappointed that this is your college experience so far. Just remember-this is temporary. Keep your chin up and create a school routine that works for you, and sooner or later we will all be on campus together again.

College so far has been a fantastic time filled with new friends, first-time experiences, and lots of laughter. I hope that you all will some day be able to experience college the way I have, even though my time was cut short. Remember, if you want to have a normal college experience, do your part by wearing a mask, sanitizing, and distancing yourself from others.