To the family that has ended our relationship
Family Friends

An Open Letter To The Family That Doesn’t Talk To Me anymore

It's hardly affecting me at all.

1970

To the family members who don't stay in contact with me anymore,

I'm sorry. I'm sorry you have missed so many years of my life and seeing me accomplish great things. I'm sorry that you didn't get to know me better than you did. I'm sorry that you decided to make the completely irreversible decision to miss parts of my life. I'm sorry that we will never have the relationship that we are supposed to have. I'm sorry that you decided to make this decision.

I would be lying if I said that it didn't get to me. It's completely your loss. Family sticks together, but with you, it hasn't. While your life has continued, mine has been doing even better. I have graduated high school and have had multiple birthdays without you. None of the big events in my life have you pictured in them. You haven't been and will never be there. Since you've decided to not be in my life, I have just continued. You thought this wouldn't affect me, and I will never admit to you the extent that it has. I know It shouldn't affect me this much because our relationship wasn't great before you broke it off. And you can't try to fix it, because it will never be what it was. Maybe that's a good thing? Family is supposed to stick together no matter what, and that is about the exact opposite of what you did. I guess that means you're supposed to be kicked out of the family. Family is supposed to be forgiving.

At first, this letter was purely out of hatred. I wrote it as a way to make myself feel better. I thought that being angry would make it easier, but it doesn't. Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely still angry. But being angry doesn't actually fix anything. It doesn't even make me feel better. I will instead be trying a new outlook on the situation. I will be positive because I have a bright future ahead of me with you in it or not. If blood is supposedly thicker than water, then why does that mean absolutely nothing to you?

The bottom line is: I don't think we should talk. I know we aren't talking, but we never should in the future either. You decided to stop having a relationship with me, so don't try to be hopeful for the future. If things were to change and efforts were made, then maybe we could think about the slight possibility of fixing things. To be technical, I'm not the one who broke it in the first place. In an ideal world, you would want to make amends and we could work on it, but reality, unfortunately, isn't as sweet. Maybe I'm just mad right now as I'm writing this letter. Opinions can change - yours sure did. The mistake you made isn't irreversible, but it doesn't mean it's unforgivable either. I guess that's up for me to decide now.