To The Counselor Who Changed The Lives Of So Many

I cannot begin to fathom the number of lives you have helped through the years.

25
Rona Boudreaux Landry

Thank you for all that you've done.

Before September 2013 I had never set for into your office unless it was to schedule my classes or change my schedule entirely. I'll admit I was nervous. You were one of many new faces that year and I was having a hard time handling one of the best and worst decisions I have ever made.

I had just put my horse down and was struggling to accept it. I went into your office expecting you to be too busy to talk or that I would hear the typical, "It's just a horse." speech. However, I was very surprised when you actually closed the office door, talked and cried with me, then, most surprisingly of all, gave me a "homework" assignment. You asked me to print out pictures of my beloved point and bring them to you later that week.

Printing those photos was the hardest thing I had to do besides making the decision to end his pain. Thanks to you, I am now able to look at the pictures I have of him hung in my home and smile. Before going to see you I had done my best to avoid them as I was always struck with the realization that the few photos I do have are the only ones I'll ever have. Bringing these photos to you ended up being a crucial step in my healing process.

I know I'm not the only student you helped.

I don't know how many lives you've helped, the number of student's lives you have touched, or how many of those same lives you have saved. What I do know is that during your time at Kaplan High, you helped more people them I can count.

Between November 2014 and June 2015, that tiny school lost three students. When trgedy struck, every single student knew that your door was open for them anytime they needed to talk. It was a light in the dark, even when that seemed impossible.

The fact that you opened your door and helped students through their grief, while going through the crowd yourself, is astounding. Every student who needed you was met with open arms and their lives were made better because of it.

You openly celebrated the victories as well as helping with the hard times. When a student received a college acceptance letter or the scholarship they were waiting for, you were there to cheer for them and be glad. It didn't matter if the student felt like the accomplishment was something small, you made it into a big deal and made them proud of it. You even had a bulletin board that you would post the different scholarships and acceptances with students' names on in the hallway. It made us feel like every little bit mattered.

All in all, I know you're enjoying retirement and living it up crocheting with your corgi, but I just wanted to thank you for everything you've done for me and every other student you have come into contact with.

You were the best Mrs. Rona. Truly an angel sent to touch the lives of others. Thank you for just being you.