To the College Student Who Feels Unmotivated After This Semester

You are doing great...

63
Photo by Shwa Hall on Unsplash

College students all over the world were faced with a tough semester in response to the pandemic. Some colleges went fully online, and others transitioned to one day a week while wearing masks and social distancing. Regardless of either experience, students have been feeling more discouraged now than ever.

To the college student who feels unmotivated after this semester:

This semester put you to the test. You were expected to be successful with online classes, no matter your learning style. You were told that the sadness and depression you felt were not excuses for struggling to get assignments in or not doing your best work. You were told that you were supposed to do field observations and group assignments even though you could not be within six feet. You were told that if you didn't do college this semester, then you wouldn't "graduate on time." You were told that things would probably be back to normal in a month or so after starting school, which did not happen. You were going into the semester with so much excitement and motivation to ace those classes, but it did not take long for you to get burnt out.

Although you felt pressure to meet your parents' and professors' expectations, you have worked so hard this semester. You taught yourself; you performed beyond your depression and anxiety and put all of your efforts into your schoolwork. You felt exhausted, overwhelmed, and detached from your professors, classmates, and friends; however, you continue to push through. You may not have received the grades you wanted this semester, or maybe you have, but do not forget all the things you have overcome this semester and be proud of yourself.

In case you have not heard it, you are doing fantastic. You have accomplished so much just by making it through this semester, give yourself some credit, and go forward knowing you can achieve anything.