To The College Freshmen

To The College Freshmen

May this advice be ever in your favor.

4
To The College Freshmen
Odyssey

I look back at my freshmen year of college being over and smile. I thank the stars for the people that I met and things that I had the opportunity to be a part of. Here’s to hoping that college will be everything you wish for and more. This is just some advice that I have picked up in the last year that will hopefully help make the transition a little easier.

Quality over quantity.

You will meet a lot of people orientation week. Some will become very close friends and some you will never talk to ever again. If you don’t have a huge group of friends the first week, that’s okay. Please do not stress about this. Wouldn’t you rather have three best friends who truly accept you over five hundred friends who mix up your name with six other people?

You’re not in high school anymore.

Whether you had an awesome experience or a crappy experience, high school is over. And guess what? No one in college cares about who you were in high school. You’re in the present and the you that you are now is more important than the “you” you were three months ago. Be yourself.

You think the drama is over? You’re funny.

Sometimes it is nice to believe that college is like rainbows and sunshine, but it can get messy. Living with complete strangers can get awkward, not inviting people to places can hurt other peoples’ feelings, and change is inevitable. Don’t let it drag you down, but don’t sweep it under the rug either. Deal with what you have been given.

Study.

Look, if you were that kid who never had to study because high school was a breeze for you then you are in for a rude awakening. The idea of college is scary so just take one class at a time. Read all the material, don’t wait until the last minute to write a paper, and find study buddies who will stay with you at the wee early hours in the library.

Keep in contact with your family.

Most of us go to college in order to escape our families and become independent and prove that we can make it on our own. Cool beans. But don’t forget who helped you get there. Appreciate your loved ones and call them from time to time.

Plug in.

Be a part of something. Join a club, be an athlete, be a part of a sorority or fraternity, run for student government; try something! This gives you an opportunity for instant friends and being involved in something bigger than yourself.

Take every opportunity.

Go to In-n-Out at one in the morning for a Neapolitan milkshake. Take a trip to a city you’ve never been to before. Go on a date with the cute boy from biology class. You never know where you might end up but it will be worth it.