To The Boy I Can't Date

To The Boy I Can't Date

When in college, your future comes first. Boys don't.

86
To The Boy I Can't Date
unsplash.com

To The Boy I Can't Date,

Yes, I know I wrote an article about being single in college, but let's be real, sometimes you crush on a boy. This boy makes you happy and makes you smile. I see you every day but we remain friends.

Adulting is hard and that's what I've realized. I have goals for myself. Goals that will make me happy and keep me happy. Work is a priority, and I really want to do something that I love.

One thing I have come to understand is I have to put myself first. I need to learn to say no and do what makes you happiest. I study hard because I have an end goal. One of my goals is to live on my own, support myself and be happy with my job. I want to enjoy doing work every day. There is a saying that Monday's aren't bad, it's your life or situation that you don't like. So don't hate on Mondays, change something, make them positive.

That aside, I have the end goal of marriage. I hope to meet my future husband here at college but I have no idea who it is. I want him to love Jesus, love me and be trustworthy. I want my family to like them and have someone who is proud of my work.

But, most of all, I want to end up somewhere where we are both happy. That is what I have grown to know. I want to date someone who doesn't have completely opposite goals as me. I want us to want to live in similar places and to have an idea of the same future. I know it's selfish to think that I want to end up where I'm happy, but that's me putting myself first. If you want to end up in a place I could not picture myself living, there is no point in crushing on you let alone date you.

But since I like you, I want you to be happy. I don't want to be the person that drags you down from your dreams. You deserve so much more than that. You should do what you love with someone who supports you. There have been boys that I've liked but I know that dating is just not a possibility. So in the end, I've had to put my feeling aside and just remained friends. It stinks but it's an adult thing to do. It's crazy that now that I'm older I have to think about stuff like this. When I was younger I could crush on whoever and it didn't matter. Now that I'm half way through college, the future is a huge thing.

To all you girls out there who are crushing on a boy, be careful. I want all of you to think about your future AND his.

Keep your head up, there is a guy out there for you. Just give it time and have patience. You want someone that will support you and make you happy. God will put just the right person in your life.