To The Boy In My 8th-Grade History Class, Here's To What's Still To Come

I never thought I would have a future with the reserved boy sitting across the room.

2059
Thauani Oliveira

Nearly 10 years ago, I sat across from you in my 8th-grade history class and I had no idea how much you would mean to me one day. I know that in life you have to expect the unexpected but the thought that one day you would be my other half never crossed my mind. I knew who you were but I didn’t know how amazing you would be to me one day.

As the years went by, despite going our separate ways we continued to have mutual friends and we would exchange simple conversations on social media every now and then. I still had no idea that in college we would reconnect and things would blossom from there.

I was never an affectionate person, I strayed away from being in relationships and I enjoyed being on my own until you came along. I was not looking for anything at the time, and I would roll my eyes at the thought of commitment. So when we first started hanging out, I just figured we would be great friends and I was happy to get to know you.

You were so easy to get along with, we had a similar sense of humor and with you, everything was so simple. I don’t think it was either of our intentions to get into a relationship, but we went from not seeing each other for years to hanging out nearly every day.

It was the simple things, like the time I took a picture of my gas light after leaving the gym for the night and you instantly called me insisting that you would accompany me to the gas station, that made start thinking a little different. One night we even explored an abandoned building in the middle of downtown and it was pure bliss, like something out of those super cheesy teen romance movies.

Before we knew, we were inseparable.

Today, you are my absolute favorite person and I can’t thank you enough for being who you are. You mean so much to me. You have made me a better person and together, we have created so many incredible memories. From driving with no destination in the Texas hill country to singing along to our favorite artists at their shows and to all the things I just can’t mention; we always have fun together.

Over two years into our relationship, we have experienced it all and it has been anything but easy, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. We have grown and learned from each other and we continue to do so. We are far from perfect, we have made our fair share of mistakes and that has only made our bond stronger. Your patience and down-to-earth qualities are a perfect balance to my slightly overwhelming and a little hard to handle aspects.

I’m grateful for your ever so chill and caring personality, you bring out the best in me. As cliche as it is, you are my exact opposite and my better half. Times get hard, I can’t deny it but at the end of the day, we get better together. In the past couple of years, we have been from New York City to Los Angeles and I can’t wait to explore every place in between with you by my side. Thank you for being my adventure partner and keeping me sane.

Here’s to what’s still to come.